Your question

Hyper 212+ mobo/ RAM clearance

Tags:
  • Heatsinks
  • RAM
  • Overclocking
Last response: in Overclocking
December 24, 2010 1:55:08 AM

I'm building up a new system and have noticed all of the comments about the larger heatsink units blocking the closer RAM slots on the MOBO.

I'm planning on using a Gigabyte 890FXA- UD5 mobo and the Hyper 212+ cooler.

Will this combo work with G SKILLRipjaws memory ?

More about : hyper 212 mobo ram clearance

a c 295 K Overclocking
December 24, 2010 3:07:01 PM

In the pictures, 890FXA-UD5 with Crucial Ballistix Tracer low profile RAM.

So, the Ripjaws only can works in 3rd and 4th RAM slot.
m
l
December 25, 2010 1:04:42 AM

Also, if your RAM is of the taller size, you can adjust the fan position to meet level requirements on the Hyper 212+. I don't know, however, how much that will affect the cooling of the CPU-if any.
m
l
Related resources
a c 239 K Overclocking
December 25, 2010 1:42:22 AM

prodigy said:
Also, if your RAM is of the taller size, you can adjust the fan position to meet level requirements on the Hyper 212+. I don't know, however, how much that will affect the cooling of the CPU-if any.

You're absolutely right, he can fudge the mounting of the fan higher on the cooling fins at the memory modules by a safe margin of 5/8ths of an inch, and still have 3/8ths of the plastic clip holding at the top connection points.

He could actually go to 3/4s but then he'd only have a 1/4 inch of the plastic clip on each side catching the fins.

If he is running 2 fans in a push/pull setup, the cooling shouldn't be negatively affected at all, it possibly won't be affected with a single fan.

*****************************************************************************************************

@swimswithtrout

A single fan setup can also be backside mounted on the Hyper 212+ in a pull setup, with basically the same cooling results.

I actually tested my Hyper 212+ with the cooling fans shut off and only the case airflow flowing over and through the heat sink and it did not overheat under normal operation, however I wouldn't suggest trying that under heavy stressing load.
m
l
December 25, 2010 2:50:44 AM

4Ryan6 said:
A single fan setup can also be backside mounted on the Hyper 212+ in a pull setup, with basically the same cooling results.

I actually tested my Hyper 212+ with the cooling fans shut off and only the case airflow flowing over and through the heat sink and it did not overheat under normal operation, however I wouldn't suggest trying that under heavy stressing load.

Daring! I have the push/pull setup now. Like, JUST NOW. After reading your post, I thought to myself "I wonder if I did that right..." Sure enough both fans were pushing on the heatsink! I reversed the second fan to suit a push/pull airflow and voila! 5c decrease in overall system temp and a 3 or 4c drop in CPU temp. BTW I happen to have the 212+ and it is a beeeeeast.
m
l
a c 239 K Overclocking
December 25, 2010 11:03:48 AM

@prodigy

What I like the most about the 212+ is how easy and fast it is to make fan changes, since I have fan controllers I changed the stock fan to a pair of 110cfm fans in push/pull, from start to finish in 15 minutes it was done.

I also love the mounting brackets capability to allow either horizontal or vertical mounting position, the design engineers really invested some serious time designing it.

Mine is presently shelved and will be used in another machine as I have snagged a BEAST of the beeeeeast, the Noctua NH-D14 is a freaking monster of a heat sink and it straight out of the box rules over the 212+.

As well it should, look at it, next to the 212+.

And mounted.

Sorry OP for the thread hijack!

I'm done. Happy Holidays
m
l
!