xagest

Distinguished
Sep 24, 2009
I'm looking to put together a new computer, and I'm looking at motherboards ASUS right now. Some ASUS motherboards have HDMI in them, which interests me since this computer will be used for gaming and play videos on my HDTV.

I was wondering if these ASUS motherboards support CEC (Consumer Electronics Control) in any form. CEC lets the viewer control connected devices through their TV (basically, being able to change volumes, navigate menus, or play/pause video using their TV remote). It'd be nice feature to have, and I'd like oto know if there was any support for it.

Solution
Check the specs in more detail. In any case, you can always get a wireless mouse and keyboard combo, since you'll be controlling the TV through your PC, right?

speedbump49

Distinguished
Mar 8, 2009
I use CEC in my home threater setup. Controll offered by CEC includes a central power where TV, Receiver, PS3/BR player will turn on/off together and a single volume control point (TV volume passes to Receiver). I also use WMC to watch live tv and the audio and video is routed to my reciver via hdmi.

I don't know why HDMI-CEC support is not offered in PC world. Seems like, the few pennies of extra cost involved in adding a CEC control chip to the Video cards and/or Mobo and perhaps lack of driver support is holding up the whole industry.

I use two remotes, my TV remote controlls power on/off, navigating input selection, volume and BR menus. My bluetooth remote is required to control all functions of Windows Media Center, live TV, TV guide, streaming on demand etc.. Its so close, yet so far.

I've have the above config implemented in two room and have patentely been waiting for HDMI-CEC support to appear somewhere. I know about the CED-Bridge's but that doen't appear to full fill my requirment.

-mw