Sign in with
Your question

Help from experts please. workstation for cs4

Last response: in Systems
April 7, 2009 2:16:08 PM

I am building my first computer for after effects, premiere and photoshop cs4 because my old system just could not handle the demands. I am also into a little gaming, but prefer the to dedicate this system just to media production.

I have my mind set on the new intel i7 chip which i will be wanting to o/c. I am relatively flexible when it comes to price as i am buying the system bit by bit so to speak.

i ve already picked up some second hand components for my workstation. firstly, i have the antec 1200 case and secondly i have the gtx 295 video card.

My next purchase will be the psu and the motherboard.

I have four concerns. firstly is compatibility among all the system parts. for example the psu is compatible with the case and the video card and motherboard.

secondly, is i am new to o/c and i want a board which is relatively straight forward and easy to use. I must confess the motherboard is something i really dont understand, after searching reading all sorts of forums and documents. i still have no idea or interest why asus, etc has so many different models with all these secret code names.

in addition i am wanting to install 12 gb of ram, cs4 loves ram.

finally i want a psu which is cheap and kind of future proofish and of course reliable.
April 7, 2009 2:41:28 PM

LOL, you're into a little gaming so you bought a GTX 295. :) 

I'd recommend a Corsair 750TX PSU for that setup. It will work fine with that case and video card. Also get a Xigmatek Dark Knight cooler for overclocking.

I like the Asus P6T Deluxe v2 motherboard. Good overclocker, lots of features, good layout.
April 7, 2009 2:42:56 PM

I'm assuming that you're not going to add a second GTX 295 later. For one GTX 295, the Corsair 750TX will do just fine.

However, if you think you will add a second card at some point, then get a Corsair 1000W PSU.
Related resources
April 7, 2009 6:05:18 PM

I would like to keep that option open do you think the 850 would do.

and also the asus p6t deluxe v2. i assume that v2 means version 2. i can get hold of the older version cheaper without v2. would that be just the same and would be a good purchase
April 7, 2009 6:07:36 PM

by the way thanks a lot guys. is the cooler you recommended for the cpu. yeah my wifes not happy with the games though man. but it s good ed for the kids.
April 7, 2009 6:59:56 PM

I think the 850TX will do, yes. It's not ideal, because it will be pushed close to max, but it should work.

If you go here
http://www.corsairmemory.com/psufinder/default.aspx
and select i7 and CPU overclocking and GTX 295 and two cards and two hard drives, the 1000HX is the only Corsair PSU returned.
However, Corsair is motivated to sell you the more expensive 1000W model, so you can't really trust them 100% to be objective here.

The older P6T Deluxe is good too, absolutely.
April 8, 2009 1:06:46 AM

wow i forgot to mention it entirely. i will be installing eight hard drives as in 4 groups of raid 0. should that effect my purchase of the psu and motherboard.

again thanks for sharing your knowledge and thanks for your time guys.
April 8, 2009 2:41:15 AM

In regards to PSU, I own a 1000w EliteXstream and I bought it because of the fact that for the next few years, at least, I'll be able to add whatever I want to a system and not really have to worry about power comsumption problems! I probably use around 700w but it's nice to have headroom and the cost probably isn't huge between 850 + 1000

I won't comment on board's because quite frankly until I'm looking for me I don't look at all lol... However I will say something that might help, motherboards, hell every component to a certain degree, is pretty confusing to evaluate, In all honesty if your not an overclocker then it doesn't matter about one brand to another (excluding manufacturer reliability and providing features are the same) mostly boards are rated on there features, reliablity/failure rate and how well the overclock.

So If your looking at boards for yourself, and your fairly inexperienced, stick with a good brand with good customer service, ASUS and Gigabyte traditionally knock out good boards with good quality components, and OCZ IMHO provide the best customer service in the industry, for example the changed my ProXstream PSU for the EliteXstream when mine broke (was double the £ here in the UK at the time) and when I broke a push pin on my vendetta 2 they UPS shipped me a set of new push pins for free..

12GB will be overkill though I think, personally I would get 6gb in triple channel (OCZ, G-Skill, Corsair, Crucial 4 Good brands) CS4 is RAM hungry but not 12gb's hungry, It's like feeding a 32oz steak to a baby...

Right, well I tend to start writing answers and go back and add more so if something looks wrong or doesn't make sense then apologies, but hopefully I've helped.

Alex.

April 8, 2009 2:44:47 AM

I must add, that I think 12GB's of RAM is overkill, I don't have the wedge to buy that much, but CS4 runs absoloutley fine on my PC with 4gb.

I don't know what you do in CS4 or how much you utilise it's features but quite a bit of the processing for a few things in CS4 is taken gare of by the GPU, i.e zooming, rotating, canvas manipulation etc... so with your 295 you'll be flying!
April 8, 2009 3:23:51 AM

marques said:
wow i forgot to mention it entirely. i will be installing eight hard drives as in 4 groups of raid 0. should that effect my purchase of the psu and motherboard.

again thanks for sharing your knowledge and thanks for your time guys.

I think you also need to look at a separate raid card. Normally, motherboards will support 6 sata drives. The asus original p6t deluxe also had a sas controller to which you can attach sas drives or two sata drives. The v2 which replaced it deleted the sas controller in favor of other features.

April 8, 2009 1:55:39 PM

About the RAM: it's true, most games will be happy with 4 GB of RAM and won't really show improvements between 4 GB and 12 GB. Get the 12GB only if you need it for other things, like Photoshop with massive files, or virtual machines. Since this is an i7 build, I think you should get a 3x2GB set to take advantage of Triple Channel.
April 8, 2009 2:58:40 PM

Yeah if you are VM'ing then get some mega ramige in there, but even CS4 with monster files will have enough with 6gb!
!