Multi Boot 3 OS' - 7, XP and 98SE

TheWhiteZombie

Distinguished
Nov 15, 2005
Hi all,

Is it possible to run the 3 OS', 7, XP and 98SE via a multi boot setup and if so can anyone advise on how to do this or maybe have a link to a Tutorial showing how it can be done.

Reason i ask is i am looking to play some old school games that you just cant play regardless of Compatibility Mode and other 3rd party apps.

Any help would be greatly appreciated,

Thanks

Mick

dogisfat

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2008
Depending on your hardware and what old school games you want to play virutualization may be your best bet rather that a tri-boot setup. Virtual Box is a very good, and free, virtualizer.

If you post system specs we could let you know if virtualization is a possiblility.

I have used it for many old 16-bit windows games.

TheWhiteZombie

Distinguished
Nov 15, 2005
Thanks for the quick replies, i will try to be quick in responding lol.

Dell 630m Laptop
Pentium 1.8GHZ Single Core
2GB RAM
80GB HD
Integrated Intel 915GM 128MB Shared

I have tried using Dox Box and Scumm VM and some games work and some dont eg Fallout 1 doesnt load and Fallout 2 has some crazy hallucinogenic colours all over the screen. I will try Virtual box and see if that does the trick.

I am also interested in using VMWare but was unsure of which version to use and was worried that maybe my laptop wouldnt be able to cope with it due to the specs.

I am also tinkering of getting 160GB HD and just splitting into 4 partitions (7, XP, 98SE) ad using the other one to store music, etc incase i ever need to format a drive.

TheWhiteZombie

Distinguished
Nov 15, 2005
@ijack

Thats my other worry, getting the correct drivers for 98, especially graphics and sound.

---------------------------------------

I will give Virtual Box a try and if that doesnt do the trick I'll try VM Ware.

Thanks ppl

What would you be doing in 98 where you would need proper drivers for non-virtualized hardware? Gaming?

All new vid cards only have drivers available for XP +... and given a couple more years XP support will probably begin to fade as well. It actually surprised me when I had sound with DOSBox on this laptop... given that it uses a Realtek HD audio codec. Win 9x is simply not supported anymore... you will not find drivers for any modern hardware. Have you tried compatibility mode in XP for some of your older Windows stuff?