Sign in with
Your question

Removal of Bad HDD Prevents Windows from Booting

Tags:
  • Hard Drives
  • Storage
Last response: in Storage
November 7, 2010 6:47:48 PM

I recently had a Toshiba 1TB drive go bad on me. It is still spinning, but transfer speeds are unusably slow and many of the files became corrupted. I was strictly using it for media storage, and had my files backed up, so no worries there.

I went to remove it from the system, and Windows refuses to boot when it is not attached. The system posts, but then simply hangs on a black screen when the Windows logo should initially appear.

My windows install is on a 300GB Maxtor. As far as I can tell, there are no system files on the failed 1TB.

Here's the really interesting part. When I remove the drive with my Windows installation, and leave the faulty drive, I get an error on boot saying that Windows is missing a critical system device with a prompt to perform a repair installation. Any thoughts on what might be going on here?

Thanks!

More about : removal bad hdd prevents windows booting

a b G Storage
November 7, 2010 6:57:00 PM

Files for boot were on the defective drive. put the maxtor drive back in and boot with your windows disk and do a repair.
m
l
November 7, 2010 7:04:13 PM

Thanks, I'll give it a shot.

Side question, how would boot files get on the 1TB? I installed it ~1 year after the Maxtor, and from what I can see there are strictly music and video files on it.
m
l
!