Removal of Bad HDD Prevents Windows from Booting

I recently had a Toshiba 1TB drive go bad on me. It is still spinning, but transfer speeds are unusably slow and many of the files became corrupted. I was strictly using it for media storage, and had my files backed up, so no worries there.

I went to remove it from the system, and Windows refuses to boot when it is not attached. The system posts, but then simply hangs on a black screen when the Windows logo should initially appear.

My windows install is on a 300GB Maxtor. As far as I can tell, there are no system files on the failed 1TB.

Here's the really interesting part. When I remove the drive with my Windows installation, and leave the faulty drive, I get an error on boot saying that Windows is missing a critical system device with a prompt to perform a repair installation. Any thoughts on what might be going on here?

Thanks!
2 answers Last reply
More about removal prevents windows booting
  1. Files for boot were on the defective drive. put the maxtor drive back in and boot with your windows disk and do a repair.
  2. Thanks, I'll give it a shot.

Side question, how would boot files get on the 1TB? I installed it ~1 year after the Maxtor, and from what I can see there are strictly music and video files on it.
Ask a new question

Read More

Hard Drives Storage