I have built a new computer with following hardware:

*Gigabyte GA-X48T-DQ6
*Asus Radeon HD 4870 512MB GDDR5
*Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 3.0GHz, 1333Mhz
*Corsair TWIN3X 1600MHz DDR3, 2GB, DHX
*2 x Samsung SpinPoint T166 320GB SATA2
*AeroCool ExtremEngine 3T, chassi
*Antec NeoPower 650w PSU, 18dBA

Have installed Windows XP Pro and created raid 1 for more safety, i dont want to loose data.

System becomes slow during:

*Gaming
*Creating music in cubase SX3
*When i have 2 applications running at the same time.
*Extracting rar files takes very long time, size does not matter.

Almost everything i do with my new computer is slower than my earlier computer with 3.2Ghz P4 hyper threading processor and i did have Raid 0 as main disk and Raid 1 as secondary disk where i store my data.

Sometimes i feel that the issue could be raid controller, some cases i feel that it could be swapping issue or graphics card issues.

Sometimes im wondering if there issue could be missmatch between DDR3 memory cards which are 1600Mhz and CPU which is 1333Mhz.

Im pretty sure that my computer should be much faster as my earlier computer.

All help is appreciated, thanks.

Mika
April 7, 2009 3:39:33 PM

1) did you reinstall XP after you put the new CPU in?

2) Have you checked your motherboard natively supports ddr3-1600?

3) did you have 4GB of ram before? if so that's probably why it's running slower.

4) 1600/3 = 533mhz, 1333/4 = 333mhz so 5:8 FSB:D DR ratio.
April 7, 2009 3:53:42 PM

Helloworld_98 said:
1) did you reinstall XP after you put the new CPU in?

2) Have you checked your motherboard natively supports ddr3-1600?

3) did you have 4GB of ram before? if so that's probably why it's running slower.

4) 1600/3 = 533mhz, 1333/4 = 333mhz so 5:8 FSB:D DR ratio.

A1) Everything is new. Old computer is some where else in the building. As you can see in the hardware listing, i have 2 new SATA2 disks.

A2) Yes, my motherboard supports exactly the memory i buyed. I have found the list of supported memory manufactures.

A3) I did have 1Gb DDR RAM in my earlier computer and in my new computer ive got 2Gb DDR3 1600Mhz. In task manager i can see that only 312Mb memory is in use, so there is ~1,7Gb memory left.

A4) I dont really understand what you mean by this. Could you please just explain more briefly, my brain is little slow :-p
Related resources
April 7, 2009 4:03:08 PM

well, for optimum performance the FSB: DDR ratio needs to be 1:1. However, the E8400 probably won't reach a 533mhz fsb unless you water cool it.

So you need to lower the speed on your ram and up the speed of your FSB however I don't know how far you'll get, you might get to 450 or you might just hit 380. Don't forget to buy an aftermarket cooler before you do this and you might have to lower your multiplier to get the FSB as high as possible.
April 7, 2009 4:41:46 PM

Helloworld_98 said:
well, for optimum performance the FSB: DDR ratio needs to be 1:1. However, the E8400 probably won't reach a 533mhz fsb unless you water cool it.

So you need to lower the speed on your ram and up the speed of your FSB however I don't know how far you'll get, you might get to 450 or you might just hit 380. Don't forget to buy an aftermarket cooler before you do this and you might have to lower your multiplier to get the FSB as high as possible.

I dont think CPU configurations would be the reason to the slowness. I have tryed to clock down the CPU speed to different levels and also over clocked it a little bit. The result is same with all CPU configs in the BIOS. I also experience slowness when starting up applications too or could it be that applications need much CPU power during a start up?

Only things that work fine without noticing anything is when listening to Web radio through Winamp and also when watching movies. No lag or anything.

Another thing i have notices is when i exit a game, the harddisk drive is working very hard for couple minutes until everything is calm.

I know its not a easy task to find the root to the problem. Maybe you have a nother hint?
April 7, 2009 5:00:23 PM

Any suggestion of bench mark test application that i could use as troubleshooting?
April 7, 2009 7:57:41 PM

You guys are making a big deal.

basically u can't have the bus speed of the RAM be more than the FSB of the processor.
It's like eating down ten pizzas in two hours when u can only digest 1 pizza every hour. You are overloading the processor with info, u are lucky to even get it booted.
Just lower the speed of the RAM, OC the FSB, get slower RAM, get faster processor.
April 8, 2009 10:47:36 AM

You bought $230 RAM and only paid $170 for the processor? DDR3 is a waste, you could of gotten the same ram in DDR2 for about $60 and gotten a much better processor. You got a 1.3GHz FSB on your processor and 1.6GHz on your RAM. Also you probably should of gotten a quad core if you work with audio and multi task. Do what Upendra did and you should be good.
April 8, 2009 12:53:48 PM

Your ram is fine as it is. Most off the shelve systems come with 333FSB cpu while the ram runs 800 or 1066. So idiots telling you the ram needs to be 1:1 are just that, IDIOTS.

Run metest86 for 8 hours minimum and if no errors the ram is fine.

Use CPU-z to check the CPU is reconized properly.

I suspect you have a bad raid setup, or a bad hard drive. Find a single drive to run some tests with.

Did you reinstall windows on the new rig or did you clone your other drive. Clone of the old system would cause problems.
Related resources
!