Sign in with
Your question

Need Advice on gaming MoBo supporting P4 3.0Ghz LGA775

Last response: in Motherboards
September 24, 2009 2:37:16 PM

Motherboard on my existing desktop (>3yrs old) need an immediate replacement, so I need one with the undermentioned support. I intend to upgrade to a gaming rig in about 6 months time.

CPU: Pentium 4 531 [SL9CB] LGA775 (3.0Ghz/1M/800/04A)
Should have support for core 2 quad.

Graphics: Onboard via D-sub port. DVI-D/HDMI not required since latest graphics cards provide them.
Should have atleast 1 PCIe x16 2.0 slot to run high end graphics card.

Audio: Better if suppots 7.1-channel.

Form factor: Any

Should have good OC potential.

I have been going through Tom's articles lately and have isolated ASRock's G41M-LE from May '09 600$ gaming PC and found it at a surprisingly low price at local market. But it lacks solid capacitors and I am not sure the PCIe x16 is 2.0 compliant.
Shall I go for it or is there any better option? How is the performance difference between version 2.0 and 1.1?
Please help.
a c 435 V Motherboard
a b 4 Gaming
September 24, 2009 5:05:21 PM

The asrock board is ok; be sure to go to their website and look under "cpu support". Some newer boards won't run older p4 cpus due to the difference in voltage.
September 27, 2009 3:58:16 PM

ASRock's site mentions about processor 531, though it does not detail in the model no. I think it will support. And the PCIe is not v2.0. This makes the pricing so low.
Anyhow, I am going for it. Though i am not sure how the latest PCIe 2.0 cards will perform in it.
!