Cant install windows on new computer

Are my OZC duel channel ram sticks compatable with my new XFX motherboard? Will having duel channel sticks plugged in in single channel format cause my computer to not work? I have an XFX ATXmicro intel board w/ GeForce 9300 onboard and core 2 duo prossessor... i have 2x(1Gb) OZC reaper DDR2 800 duel channel ram... i wasnt familar with Duel vs. Single channel opperation when i put this computer together but after a little research i think my ram sticks are in the wrong slots for duel channel opperation... How important is this? Will the computer still opperate in a single channel mode or do duel channel sticks HAVE to be plugged in the duel channel slots... the computer boots up, sees my drives, and i can get into the bios, but it wont allow me to install my Windows OS... Sometimes it will start to install and then just quits, sometimes it randomly restarts itself during install, and once it blue screened with a video card error message... because my graphics are onboard and i have no aftermarket card installed, this confused me... i cant install the drivers for the board until i have an OS working, right? could this be a problem with my Ram not being compatible with the board or being plugged in the wrong slots or did i get a bad motherboard?... if anyone can help it would be much appriciated, thank you
5 answers Last reply
More about cant install windows computer
  1. Dual channel slots are usually color coded; just install both in the same color slot. Could be a memory issue. Go into the bios and check the default memory timings. I usually set mine to 5-5-5-15 if I need to run them in manual mode. You can also try upping the memory voltage to 1.9 volts.
  2. Ah, a duel between the computer and a pair of memory sticks!

The RAM isn't really dual channel, it's the board and the slots and the BIOS which make it so. The RAM just needs to be the same specs to run as dual channel - and get put into the right slots. I think all OCZ Reaper DDR2s ask for 2.1V, even at 800MHz, but check the specs on yours.

Only RAID drivers and certain other special hard drive controller drivers HAVE to be installed when you start the Windows install. But make sure the BIOS is set to IDE-type SATA to avoid this issue.

One thing to try right away is to set the BIOS to either Default values or Optimized Default. This gets things going on the right foot - then you can change settings like the RAM voltage and boot order.

Shouldn't be a problem with the RAM not being in the dual channel slots, but why not do it right. There are combinations of slots you could use that would confuse the motherboard.

What version of Windows? If your BIOS is allocating a lot of RAM to video and you're trying to install Win 7, could just not have enough RAM.

If you post again, make sure you include all details of your system. The model of the board and link to its website specs, model of the OCZ RAM, model/type of hard drive, etc... always get better answers that way!
  3. System Specs:
    Motherboard: XFX MI93007 AS9 LGA 775 NVIDIA GeForce 9300 HDMI Micro ATX Intel Motherboard
    http://www.xfxforce.com/en-us/products/motherboards/nvidia%20geforceseries/9300.aspx?showall=1&tabid=3#2
    Processor: Intel Core 2 Duo E7600 Wolfdale 3.06GHz LGA 775 65W Dual-Core Processor Model BX80571E7600
    http://ark.intel.com/Product.aspx?id=41495&processor=E7600&spec-codes=SLGTD
    Memory: OCZ Reaper HPC Edition 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit Model# OCZ2RPR8002GK
    http://www.ocztechnology.com/products/memory/ocz_ddr2_pc2_6400_reaper_hpc_edition
    PSU: Antec 500W (sorry thats all I know about the PSU)

First let me say thank you for the quick replies and sorry for the lack of info in my first post; hopefully this is a little more thorough. I didnt list my hard drive because im not sure what it is, (computer is at my cousin's house at the moment) its just the hard drive from my old computer. I just ordered a new Seagate Barracuda 7200.12 ST3320418AS 320GB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive to eliminate that as a possible cause of my problems. Should be here on tuesday.
    My cousin is the family computer guy, having been in the repair business for close to 20 yrs. but he doesnt really keep up on alot of the new high end stuff, just fixing peoples OEM Dell, Gateway, ect. stuff. So after reading the replies to my first post we went looking to up the voltage to the memory and set the timing(Spec for my memory: 2.1V and 4-4-4-15) but neither of us could find it in the BIOS. Maybe someone with some expierence with these motherboards could shed a little light on where to find it. That's where im at at this point. I'll leave at that until i hear back from you guys, TY!!!

One quick question to clear up my confusion. Mongox stated above "The RAM isn't really dual channel, it's the board and the slots and the BIOS which make it so." Im no expert and am not disputing this statement because i dont know, but my question is why does the RAM say "duel channel kit" if it is no different? When you buy RAM that says "duel channel kit" is it designed to run that way, or does it not matter? TYVM in advance for all the help :)
  4. RAM sold as dual-channel is guaranteed to work as a pair. Usually they are close in serial numbers and perhaps were stuck into a computer/test unit to make sure they work as dual-channel. You could do the same just by buying two single sticks, making sure they're really the same, etc... Buying the pair is always best.

I finally convinced that site to let me look at the manual - what a hassle! Thought I was going to have to give some blood. The closest thing to a manual is their "Building a System" guide. Unusual book since it's the first one I've ever seen that guides you into building the system without a case!

The pair of sticks you have need to be installed in the "blue" slots. That would put a empty slot between the two sticks. Won't work as dual-channel otherwise. And yes, you really want it to run dual-channel.

Guide doesn't go into the BIOS much at all however. And I don't see any of the usual main page choices that would give Advanced functions. One thing you should try is to press Ctrl-F1 once you see the main page of the BIOS. That's holding Ctrl-key down and pressing F1 key. This may change the choices you see.

Otherwise, need to explore all the menu items and see if there's anything about changing settings for the DRAM, the CPU, the bus, clock speed - anything like that.

The guide has a very nice explanation of how to set-up and install RAID drives - odd with the other useful info missing!

What Windows version are you installing?

I assume the hard drive doesn't have anything on it now? Does it give you a choice when you start the install of what partition to use? Is there more than one? Are you telling it to erase and re-format that partition? If the drive's the problem the new one should fix it. But heck, it's the weekend, get the old one working as practice!
  5. Still no luck guys. I had to move a jumper on the board to put it into overclock mode, then after rebooting there was an option in the BIOS to change my voltages. I up'd the Volts to 2.1 as specified by the modules with no results. Still the same. I tried a different brand of RAM sticks and still no change. I put in the new hard drive and a new disc drive to make sure it was reading properly, and i tried 3 different windows discs. None of them seem to be the problem. Im gonna send the motherboard and processor back as defective and see if the replacement parts make a difference.

to answer an earlier question, im installing XP Home SP2, also tried a different XP w/ sp1, and even a windows 98 disc...No Luck

Im assuming that my PSU is OK because it is fairly new but am gonna have it tested while i wait for the new parts to get here. Install gets to the 39 min page and then it just reboots, everytime, same place... I will keep you posted with any new results... any ideas are welcomed
Ask a new question

Read More

Memory RAM Single Channel Computer