Internationalizing XP; Unicode perhaps?

May 26, 2004 7:46:12 PM

For years now I have happily used Windows in "plain English" mode,
meaning that I haven't used or needed any characters other than plain
old ASCII.

Now I'm exploring some projects that involve international
collaboration, and of course I immediately I woke up from my ASCII
slumber :-).

First thing I need is to import text with Norwegian characters (like
in 'Honningsvåg' or 'Magerøya') into Excel, which presently doen't
work in my XP systems (they import without error messages, but then
look all garbled). Now this seems like a problem of Excel, but I have
had similar problems in other XP places, too

So my question to those of you in parts of the world with characters
like 'ø', 'ä', and the myriad of others (for examples see
http://www.columbia.edu/kermit/utf8.html), what do you do make
Windows XP handle those characters properly?

Thanks for your help and advice.

Wolfgang,
Santa Barbara
Anonymous
May 27, 2004 6:57:02 AM

Choose a different font. Arial has a full character set.

http://home.comcast.net/~wizardofwhimsy/index.html