BIOS error....Danger Will Robinson

bobarotti

Distinguished
Jan 19, 2008
Specs:
Compaq case (Reused from a previous incarnation)
Asus M3N78-VM micro ATX Motherboard (Using onboard graphics and audio for now)
AMD Athlonx2 7750 CPU
4 GB (2x2gb) Gskill DDR2 PC2 800
Western Digital 160GB (Windows XP from a previous computer)
SATA HDD
Ultra 500 watt power supply

Two current issues. When booting get the following message:

Checking NVRAM..

Unknown BIOS error. Error code =8302
Press F1 to Resume

When F1 is pressed it boots into Windows XP and then immediately crashes. Happens so fast I can't even read the BSOD msg.

Working on the first problem at the moment but any feed back would be appreciated on the second.
I have reset the bios per the manual.
I have also flashed the latest bios from ASUS.
I have also replace the CMOS battery after which I got and fulfilled the request to reset the Date and Time.
All of this to no avail.
Help me, help me....Oh Lordy, help me!
Thanks

You can't just pop the HD out of your old computer and put it in your new computer and expect it to work. That existing XP installation has drivers for your old hardware. You really need to do a fresh install of XP if you ever want the OS to function correctly. I know someone will come on here and say you can get your old installation to work by removing all the old drivers and doing a repair install, but you're much better off just doing a fresh install.

bobarotti

Distinguished
Jan 19, 2008
I understand about the OS which addresses the second issue. I contacted customer service for Asus re the first problem. They gave a couple of suggestions that I had already tried and then recommended a return to Newegg, which I did. Waiting patiently.