GTX 560 Requirements clarification needed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

DW_2012

Distinguished
Jan 3, 2012
Hi again, everyone,

I have a similar query going on in the GPU corner of the boards. Thanks to everyone for your input.

In another now closed thread, I mentioned I had the following:

1. EA-500D (in an Antec Sonata 300). 500 Watts. 408w on 12V (34 Amps).
2. Intel Core Duo E7400.
3. Zalman Arctic Cooling.
4. 1 x 120 mm fan to evacuate heat from case (adjacent to CPU)
5. 2 x Corsair XMS 2 DDR 2
6. WD Caviar Black SATA (7200 RPM)
7. 3 USB Active
8. DVD-RW
9. Upgrading EVGA 9800 GT to EVGA GTX 560 SC.

The GTX 560 requires 450 minimum and 24 amps. To be honest, I was surprised by the requirements. I haven't built a PC in a very long time, and I haven't kept up with the technology, so this is all new to me. I can still remember the days of ATI Small Wonder.

Maybe I'm a little cautious, but I ran the Extreme PSU Calculator, and it seems that overshooting things, e.g. High End Desktop, 4 USB active, and the 460 1 GB (consumes 160W compared to 560's 150W) or 560 Ti (170W) and 4 fans, it suggests 483w with 31.4 amps on the 12V. This is 95% system load and 30% age for the PSU (it's 3.5 years old).

In another scenario, with the 560 Ti loaded, it comes to about the same requirements with 90% load.

My only concern is the games at 1080p. Specifically, Starcraft 2 and Diablo 3. I will be playing ME 1, ME 2, and some strategy games. I don't play any FPS (or similar) and I don't plan on overclocking.

From what I've read, I think I'm in the clear. I just don't want to damage anything once the card is loaded.

Thanks so much for your help.

DW.

Solution

Of course they're going to recommend that you by a power supply with way more power than you will ever need because they're in the business of selling power supplies.

A GeForce GTX 560 (non-Ti model) graphics card itself will draw up to 13.6 Amps from the +12V rail under a typical gaming load. It will draw up to 17.7 Amps from the +12V rail if you were to run a GPU stress...

Hi :)

Umm not sure where you got those figures from but take my word...NO graphics card ever actually uses 24 amps lol.... the maximum fuse rating in the UK for a mains plug is 13 amps as an example, if you tried pulling 24 amps through the mains lead you would at the very least blow the mains lead fuse and probably the house circuit fuse as well....

All the best Brett :)

DW_2012

Distinguished
Jan 3, 2012
Hi, Brett,

Again, that may be, but just taking the requirements from EVGA's website.

I spoke with Antec and they said while my PSU should be able to handle it, they were concerned with gaming, and should it require more power.

They suggested the EA-750 modular PSU. Thing is, I've read reviews, and for my case, there isn't a lot of room.

Advice?

Thanks!

Of course they're going to recommend that you by a power supply with way more power than you will ever need because they're in the business of selling power supplies.

A GeForce GTX 560 (non-Ti model) graphics card itself will draw up to 13.6 Amps from the +12V rail under a typical gaming load. It will draw up to 17.7 Amps from the +12V rail if you were to run a GPU stress testing utility like FurMark.

Your Antec EarthWatts EA-500D has more than enough capacity to power your system with a single GeForce GTX 560 even when taking into account the power supply's age.

Solution

NeutralEnergy

Distinguished
Nov 22, 2011
Yep. I'm completely agreeing with ko888 on this. Just for example, 2 gtx 580's (fastest single-gpu cards on the planet atm) and a decked out system with an OCed 2600k will run 525w from the wall... Don't worry about the psu. You're all fine. And also, btw, the mroe technology is advancing right now, the less power it takes to run things.

Hope this helps!

Status
Not open for further replies.