Tags:
  • CPUs
  • Cache
  • Motherboards
  • Overclocking
Last response: in Overclocking
December 25, 2010 10:08:07 AM

Hey Guys,

I have an Athlon II x4 620 @ 2.6ghz (Stock) and an AsRock M3A785GXH/128M Motherboard that supports ACC.

When I set it to auto ACC and restart, the bios shows that I now have 6mb of L3 cache, I assume that means I have unlocked L3 cache. This is great, but every time it reaches the windows loading screen is flashes up and then reboots immediately.

Is this a sign that:
a) My board is somehow wrong, and I don't have any L3 Cache (I have a propus core, and i've read that propus cores have no L3 cache by default)
b) The cache is there, but has been locked because it is unusable due to errors.
c) I need to increase the voltage to make up for the unlocked cache (I leave it at stock when I try to boot)

Or is it something else? If I need to up the voltage, what is a safe level to go to to see if it works?

Oh and another question, My CPU idles at 45 Celsius stock HS and thermal paste and I under-volt it, is this a normal temperature?

More about : problem unlocking athlon 620 hidden cache

a c 79 à CPUs
a b V Motherboard
a b K Overclocking
January 7, 2011 4:46:16 PM

All athlonII cores are essentially their phenom cousins with out L3 cache. No athlon II will have L3 cache, and why did you undervolt your CPU ?
m
l
January 7, 2011 6:23:12 PM

I undervolt it to keep the temperature down. What do you mean?? Isn't it possible to unlock certain Athlon II cpus L3 cache because some of them are phenoms with locked cache? Are you saying none of them have locked L3 cache?
m
l
a c 79 à CPUs
a b V Motherboard
a b K Overclocking
January 7, 2011 9:42:11 PM

your tamp is totally normal but If you are really concerned with temperature buy a cooler, under volting a CPU will eventually kill it especially if you are trying to unlock features. 99.99 percent of Athlon II's are phenoms where the the L3 cache has PHYSICALLY been cut out of the die, not just disabled but cut out. that .1 percent i am referring to are the first batch of these were actually phenom deneb cores that the L3 was left on the die, just disabled. However I very highly doubt you have one of these CPU's.
m
l
January 7, 2011 9:46:12 PM

So undervolting is bad? I hit 55 or so when i'm not undervolting... is that worse?
m
l
a c 104 à CPUs
a b V Motherboard
a b K Overclocking
January 7, 2011 10:03:28 PM

1st its not uncommon for Athlons to have locked L3 cache (My brothers x 3 had a locked core and L3 cache)I could only guess the percentage but if I had to I would guess 30-50% do but if the chip is unstable with the cache enabled then you can try raising the voltage or just lock it again. 55C is OK if its the maximum load temp if not try reseating the cooler or upgrading it.
m
l
a c 79 à CPUs
a b V Motherboard
a b K Overclocking
January 8, 2011 1:26:25 AM

simon12 said:
1st its not uncommon for Athlons to have locked L3 cache (My brothers x 3 had a locked core and L3 cache)I could only guess the percentage but if I had to I would guess 30-50% do but if the chip is unstable with the cache enabled then you can try raising the voltage or just lock it again. 55C is OK if its the maximum load temp if not try reseating the cooler or upgrading it.

I think you are a little misinformed as to the ammount of athlon II cores with L3 cache, As i stated before the ONLY Athlon II cores to have L3 cache are the initial X4 "samples" and early X3's that are actually bad core X4's both were very closely based off of the Phenom's Deneb architecture, They basically were a deneb phenom with locked L3. Since the architecture change to Propus cores the L3 cache has literally been cut out of the die, I have included a AthlonII X4 620 review with some pertaining info also 2 forums in regards to unlocking L3 on AIIX3's that also referrences the early faulty denebs being locked out and resold

http://www.cpu-world.com/info/AMD/Unlocking_cores_and_L...

http://www.overclockers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=653...

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/260941-29-unlocked-at...

I dont mean to flame anyone, I am just providing the correct information

m
l
a c 79 à CPUs
a b V Motherboard
a b K Overclocking
January 8, 2011 1:34:34 AM

Blender3D you have a very early Propus that is pretty much a deneb with bad L3, thats why it shows you have L3 but you cant boot, U got lucky but not lucky enough lol. Hope this helps
m
l
a c 104 à CPUs
a b V Motherboard
a b K Overclocking
January 8, 2011 7:28:42 AM

cmi86 said:
I think you are a little misinformed as to the ammount of athlon II cores with L3 cache, As i stated before the ONLY Athlon II cores to have L3 cache are the initial X4 "samples" and early X3's that are actually bad core X4's both were very closely based off of the Phenom's Deneb architecture, They basically were a deneb phenom with locked L3. Since the architecture change to Propus cores the L3 cache has literally been cut out of the die, I have included a AthlonII X4 620 review with some pertaining info also 2 forums in regards to unlocking L3 on AIIX3's that also referrences the early faulty denebs being locked out and resold

http://www.cpu-world.com/info/AMD/Unlocking_cores_and_L...

http://www.overclockers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=653...

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/260941-29-unlocked-at...

I dont mean to flame anyone, I am just providing the correct information

The 1 st 2 of your links say you can unlock L3 cache on an athlon II. You can'y on an athlon II X2 but its not that uncommon on X3 & X4
m
l
January 8, 2011 10:10:31 AM

Thats what I thought... So the L3 is there, its just locked for good reason? My bios sees it fine, windows loading screen comes up for 2 seconds then an instant reboot occurs.
m
l
a c 79 à CPUs
a b V Motherboard
a b K Overclocking
January 8, 2011 4:40:16 PM

simon12 said:
The 1 st 2 of your links say you can unlock L3 cache on an athlon II. You can'y on an athlon II X2 but its not that uncommon on X3 & X4

I know, I was illustrating the the fact that all of these chips are products of bad batches and samples of an old architecture and are in no way even close to 30-50% of the current market share. I know its do able, but not common atall.
m
l
a c 79 à CPUs
a b V Motherboard
a b K Overclocking
January 8, 2011 4:44:15 PM

Yeah those older AMD cores are like a cracker jack box, you never really know what ur gonna get lol.
m
l
a c 104 à CPUs
a b V Motherboard
a b K Overclocking
January 10, 2011 9:04:28 AM

It is not that uncommon you will find alot of threads in this forum where people have unlocked L3 cache on Athlon x3 and x4s (no always stable) it used to only be early ones but recently (last year or so) it has become more common for new CPUs to unlock. Believe me or not I will not reply again as its not helping any one.
m
l
January 10, 2011 10:13:48 AM

Thanks guys. :)  I plan to upgrade it anyway, just wanted you know if i had anything special :p 
m
l
!