bcrawford01

Distinguished
Jul 12, 2009
I recently had a problem with my computer, it froze while I was playing a game and like any other time I shut it off and restarted it. Upon a fresh boot I recieved a normal startup but no video signal. I thought it unlikely the video card died just like that but I went through with some tests anyway. Removed all ram and attempted to boot off each stick individually. Tried a boot with and without the video card on another monitor. Using the onboard video. From those tests I got the same result. But now am recieving two beeps upon starting. I disconected all USB devices and other harddrives. Nothing. Cleared the bios. Nothing. The power supply is brand new a month or more ago so that's not it. It just baffles me. It's either the motherboard or the cpu. I don't want to bring it to a shop when I can fix it myself for way cheaper. I built it I can fix it I am just not sure what this problem may be. If anyone has any suggestions please tell me. I have tested the motherboard slightly by unplugging the power to the video card, it beeped to let me know about that. I also tried to boot without a CPU. To which nothing showed on screen either. So I am at a loss.
Any help is gladly accepted.
I am running this -
Bfg geforce 8800 gts
2 1gb strips and 2 512mb strips of OCz gold ram
ASIs m2n sli deluxe motherboard
Amd athlon x2 6400

Um........ that motherboard is a 570 SLI board so it doesn't have any onboard video.

Did you try your video card in another computer?

Anyway if it really is the CPU or the motherboard, then I would say it's probably the motherboard. Those old 500 series boards weren't too bad, but they got hot and thus were prone to an early death. The newer 700 series boards are much better, but I still wouldn't get one unless I was just hung up on SLI :D.

"Upon a fresh boot I recieved a normal startup but no video signal."

What's a normal startup? Did you see Bios load on screen? Did you get into Windows (hear the sound) but have no video? Or did it just stop before trying to boot the OS?

"The power supply is brand new a month or more ago so that's not it."

Don't be so sure yet. Can't tell yet until we get answers to above. What psu do you have?

"But now am recieving two beeps upon starting."

What does your manual say about two beeps on post?

The only Award BIOS beep code indicates that a video error has occurred and the BIOS cannot initialize the video screen to display any additional information. This beep code consists of a single long beep followed by two short beeps. Any other beeps are probably memory problems.

bcrawford01

Distinguished
Jul 12, 2009
The computer and all fans start, but the screen is still in standby mode. I see no boot screen or windows. I replaced the psu 6 weeks ago, it being a 700 watt OCD gamexstream. Exact same model I had in there before. I have no other system to try my video card in unfortunately. As for it being the motherboard, wouldn't it be silent throughout these tests If it has packed it in? It noticed the missing power to the video card after all, and made it's long annoying beep. Is there more things I can try?

More than half of the systems reported here as having these kinds of problems have a psu issue. So it's probably worth the time to either borrow one, or try your psu in another working system.

If you don't have parts to swap to diagnose these problems, you are reduced to guessing and buying stuff. At least if you guess "psu" you are going with the odds and you'd have a spare to test with the next time if you guessed wrong.

Or you could take it to the shop to test where they will swap parts for you.

TRENDING THREADS