Problems with new build (video)

john_smarty

Distinguished
Nov 22, 2008
my video wont turn on everything is hooked up right. its a gtx 285 the only problem that i have is that their is 1 small wire i dont know what to do with. everything powers on even the video card. (green light) but no picture.

Let me specify - what PSU do you have? It seems like your system may not be getting enough clean power to work correctly. A red light on the PSU means insufficient power. Your GPU needs 40A on the 12v rail if I remember correctly.

Are you sure you went through every step in the checklist? Did you try with just one stick of RAM? Did you try each stick of RAM by itself? Do you have the 8-pin CPU power connector plugged into the motherboard? The 8-pin connector has a cover over 4 pins. Go ahead and remove the cover and use all 8 pins.

kubes

Distinguished
Nov 4, 2008
Smells like a number 2 to me again short :).

I will be talking about your board in refference to this picture: Asus P6t

On the Bottom left hand cornor of your board there is a 8 pin connector with 4 of its pins probally covered. Do you have anything plugged into this part of your board at all? If not there should be from you psu.

I'll be the bad guy here.

It's my belief that the problem is user comprehension. The OP has missed something, probably contained in the checklist, and needs to review it more carefully.

If the OP feels certain that he's done everything right, he should do it all again.

Once that is done, if there is still no change, then he will need to try swapping out parts to narrow down the problem.

I don't know what to say without some more detailed responses from the OP. The responses so far have been so vague that it's hard to determine what troubleshooting steps he's actually taken. I still haven't heard a straight answer on whether the OP has tried with just one stick of RAM installed. Faulty RAM often causes the "no video" problem.

The OP also said that he was getting red lights on his GPU for a while and now they're green. What did he change to get the lights to turn green? I don't mind helping people, but we need a little better feedback to be effective.

kubes

Distinguished
Nov 4, 2008
@ Proximon:

Atleast you said it lol. I have a feeling he/she didn't go through that checklist nearly as throughal as he/she should have.

Comments like these are throwing up red flags like crazy:

"their is 1 small wire i dont know what to do with"

"i tried everything their - no luck
everything boots .....just no picture"

".... got a red light on the video card "

"k video card has the green light again ! "

"6 gb ram"