tedbrown007

Distinguished
Sep 24, 2009
I am planning on building a new PC and not 100% sure of the motherboard that I want to buy. Right now I am looking at
BIOSTAR TA790GXE
and
ASUS M4A78T-E

Both come in combo deals at newegg.ca with the AMD Phenom II X4 955 Black Edition, and both are a good deal. The BIOSTAR board however will save me about $50 in the combo, and I can probably get more DDR2 RAM for less than DDR3 (currently looking at buying 4GB for $75)

So, my question is, should I take the BIOSTAR combo and most likely save money, or should I spend the extra money on the Asus and DDR3? My only concern with buying the BIOSTAR and DDR2 RAM is whether I will need to update it in the near future. Oh yes, and I was wondering, will there be a significant difference in performance between these boards? (they do have the same chip sets)

i would choose the ASUS M4A78T-E

performance between them wouldn't be that much (though the quailty on the ASUS is superb, i have the DDR2 version of that board)

the question is how long is AMD going to keep the DDR2 controller in its chips, you may not be able to upgrade the CPU down the line with DDR2 mem