Tags:
  • Power Supplies
  • Intel i7
  • Build
  • Components
Last response: in Components
July 12, 2009 2:43:59 PM

Hey everyone,

I am thinking about upgrading my mobo, cpu and ram for i7, and I would like to transfer the C2D setup into a new tower for a family member. I have an old psu that I'm wanting to put in the second build to save money, but I'm not sure if it's powerful enough to run everything.

So, would this setup -

C2D E4400
Gigabyte DS3R mobo
8600 GT
2 gb DDR2 800 (2x 1gb)
Fortron 500 watt (current psu that will go into i7 build).

run on this?

Antec Smartpower 350 watt - Max: 35A 16A 28A 0.5A 0.8A 2.0A

Here's the story with this psu - It used to be in my old AMD 3200+ barton build, and one day the system stopped working. I can't remember the exact issues, but through forum posting we thought it was the psu. I replaced it with a Fortron 400 watt, and everything was fine. Then the system began shutting down until it finally just wouldn't boot. I got around to testing them last week with a power tester and the Fortron failed at the -6V test, but the original Antec passed everything. Is this thing safe to put into a C2D build (if it'll even run it that is), or should I play it safe and just buy a new one?

Thanks!

More about : bad psu work

a b ) Power supply
July 12, 2009 3:53:27 PM

I use an old antec 350 dual fan with my e4500 and 2400xt video card. It's low end stuff with no overclocking, so I don't need a premium ps. I took this ps apart to clean the fans and it works fine. It all depends on your video card and other factors as to what you need.
a c 144 ) Power supply
July 12, 2009 6:54:40 PM

tomste2300 said:

I got around to testing them last week with a power tester and the Fortron failed at the -6V test, but the original Antec passed everything.

Thanks!

Current ATX specifications do away with the requirement for a -5 volt output. None of my newer PSU's have a -5 volt output. You can tell by looking for a white wire between a red and a black wire. If there's no wire and the socket for that pin is empty,you do not have a -5 volt output.

The Antec will power your backup system with no problems.
July 14, 2009 5:35:13 PM

jsc said:
Current ATX specifications do away with the requirement for a -5 volt output. None of my newer PSU's have a -5 volt output. You can tell by looking for a white wire between a red and a black wire. If there's no wire and the socket for that pin is empty,you do not have a -5 volt output.

The Antec will power your backup system with no problems.

Thanks a lot for that info - I redid the test and it was the -5v that shows an error - now I know why! It is also missing the white wire, which makes me feel good. Do you think the psu could be damaged beyond what the tester is showing (like under load), or is the psu good all the way around if the tester shows green lights?

Also, does the DS3R require the -5v wire?

It turns out the Antec's plug doesn't fit into the DS3R board, so I'm kind of banking on this Fortron to work out...although I'm not going to risk it if it's bad. The pins do work though, which is nice.
July 22, 2009 5:33:20 PM

Update - I eventually bought a PC Power and Cooling Silencer 750w psu, and its been working flawlessly. I couldn't be happier.
!