How to run more than 2 monitors

Tags:
  • Graphics Cards
  • Monitors
  • Graphics
Last response: in Graphics & Displays
April 29, 2009 2:40:55 PM

What are some of the ways to do this?
I know the current generation of video cards have 2 monitor outputs but how would you run 4?

Thx for any! :) 

More about : run monitors

April 29, 2009 3:18:37 PM

SLI or CF. Or an X2 card (Even though the 4850x2 is not the best card to get, it has 4 DVI outs) If you have just one slot, that's a good option.
April 30, 2009 12:58:04 AM

Are you saying I have to buy 2 identical cards that are SLI or CF capable?
I have one SLI card capable card now. So I have to hunt down this exact model?
Related resources
a c 365 U Graphics card
a c 196 C Monitor
April 30, 2009 1:19:20 AM

You can simply have two cards in your PC. They do not need to be XFired, each will control two monitors. They don't even have to be the same model; a HD 4850 can control one pair, a HD 4650 can control the second pair.

April 30, 2009 1:23:25 AM

It's also my understanding that in order to enable SLI mode or CF mode (where it splits processing between the cards), you have to use a single monitor output.

Is this correct?
April 30, 2009 2:04:14 AM

Not exactly. You can use more than one. With SLI/CF you normally get 4 DVI outs.
April 30, 2009 2:14:41 AM

rasmasyean said:
It's also my understanding that in order to enable SLI mode or CF mode (where it splits processing between the cards), you have to use a single monitor output.

Is this correct?

That's my understanding as well. I've had similar questions myself, and been told no SLI or Xfire specifically for this reason. The cards also have to use the same driver for both to avoid conflicts in Vista and probablly 7 as well ( not a problem in XP ). The best money-no-object way to get 3 is to use a matrox "triple head to go". With this, the 3 monitors can be used together in games as well with little difficulty. Four is a little tougher though. Running 2 cards, and using the 2 outputs on each would work best. Only your primary video card needs to be good in this case. Most of the actuall processing will be done on the primary card and the second video card will only be minimaly used.
a c 273 U Graphics card
a b C Monitor
July 16, 2011 9:26:58 PM

This topic has been closed by Mousemonkey
!