Sign in with
Your question

No Dough Faux Mac Pro

Last response: in Systems
April 8, 2009 1:26:56 AM

New Egg Wish List

Hi,

Would someone mind giving a look at this spec list for a new workstation. Are there any incompatibilities? Is the power supply overkill?

I would really appreciate any help. I'm in the middle of a project and the old workhorse isn't gonna make it anymore.

Thanks,
Casey

More about : dough faux mac pro

April 8, 2009 2:02:01 AM

Hey caseyjames, didn't see any incompatibilities during my quick runover of your lonnnnnggg list. In any case, I don't think 1000W watts is overkill. Why'd you opt for the dual-CPU mobo though? Are you getting two Xeons? And how is this the No Dough workstation if your planning to spend over $2,700? :p 
April 8, 2009 2:26:33 AM

Thanks for the advice. I suppose the price is all relative, but in comparison to a Mac Pro its a steal. Just the same, this will indeed be on a borrowed dime.

One other question, I'm planning on running the 78gb hds in a raid setup for speed, with the intention of moving project files on an off of them as needed. Will the onboard raid SAS controller be decent enough for that purpose?

Thanks Again,
Casey
Related resources
April 8, 2009 5:23:37 AM

Uhh your PSU is way overkill, unless your mobo/CPU is far more power consumptive than an i7/x58 combo. Yeah you have two processors, so maybe 300w there at the most, then 150w or so for the GPU (these are conservative estimates). I think you would be fine with a Corsair 650tx.
April 13, 2009 1:21:59 AM

xthekidx said:
Uhh your PSU is way overkill, unless your mobo/CPU is far more power consumptive than an i7/x58 combo. Yeah you have two processors, so maybe 300w there at the most, then 150w or so for the GPU (these are conservative estimates). I think you would be fine with a Corsair 650tx.

Well yeah 1000w could be overkill, but isn't 650 too little, based on your "conservative" estimates? How about 850 just to be sure? The one from Corsair also looks good: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
April 13, 2009 6:05:06 AM

Hi there.

1) I see you changed the PSU in your wishlist to the 650w, which now is not enough. Just by the other guys estimate for 2xCPU & 1-GPU, that is 450w. Now that PSU is roughly 80% efficient, so 650 x .80=520w actual output. Add in hard drives, motherboard, fans and anything else you might add and that 650w PSU is not enough.

2) What do you do where you need 2-15k drives in, presumably, Raid 0? The LSI SAS controller is only capable of Raid 0, 1 or 1E(LSI's weird Raid 1, I don't recall the specifics); so, if you wanted to run a Raid 10 down the road, you would need to spend at least $400 for a SAS add-in controller. I presume you have not experienced a drive failure since you have not included Raid 1 or 10 in this build. I just installed Vista x64 the other day so I could install and use Adobe CS4 to its max with 8GB of ram. It took over an entire day from Vista install to SP1 download/install to the various drivers needed to Adobe CS4 install and finally CS4 updates. If I didn't spend the extra money for Raid 10 and then a drive failed, it would cost me my data and over a days worth of time plus more time for other applications. Plus, I get extra speed from Raid 10.

If you are absolutely set on getting fast drives, I suggest getting 2 74GB 10k Raptors for $200 or 2 150GB VelociRaptors for $340. Then use the Intel Matrix Raid and create 2 different Raid arrays, a Raid 1 and Raid 0. Use Raid 1 for OS/Apps/Storage and the Raid 0 for media cache/scratch disk. I do video editing/compositing and some Photoshop work, and I use Raid 10 with 4 Raptors for OS/Apps/Storage and also a Raid 0 using the last 80GB for 'media cache'(used for Premiere Pro & AE project files cache) and also a scratch disk for Photoshop. I just had a Raptor die a few weeks ago and I lost no data and have had zero downtime. You could always get 4 1TB drives and run in Raid 10 and Raid 0, giving you speed, protection and over 2TB of data storage. Or scale it down depending on your storage needs.

Everything else, including motherboard look fine. However, I do like your Lian-Li case as I have one and love it. I do recommend upgrading the fans to something like Antec's 3-speed. I use these and they are slightly quieter and max speed and I can adjust them based on location. Just FYI on upgrading the fans, for whatever reason the 120mm fan at the back doesn't use the same spacing for screw placement which means the CPU 'air duct' can't be used. Also, the side 120mm fan needs to be replaced with an Antec low noise 3-speed fan. It is one of the loudest, if not the loudest, part of my pc, even with 4 raptors moving together. (I also turned it around to blow into the case, not out, which greatly helps the motherboard northbridge as well as my 3ware raid controller and gfx card.) But I guess this goes to show how well made the case is and how well the insulation works. If you have a little more to spend, I would actually recommend getting one of their $299 cases that have 2 slots for PSU's. Why? The current case doesn't have anywhere for the air to go from the hard drive compartment; whereas, a few of the Lian-Li cases at $299 have the 2nd PSU slot that can be removed to allow better ventilation.
Also, if you don't end up getting SAS drives, you can save a $100 on the mobo and get Supermicro's very similar board which doesn't have SAS.
April 13, 2009 6:44:21 AM

caseyjames said:
Thanks for the advice. I suppose the price is all relative, but in comparison to a Mac Pro its a steal. Just the same, this will indeed be on a borrowed dime.

One other question, I'm planning on running the 78gb hds in a raid setup for speed, with the intention of moving project files on an off of them as needed. Will the onboard raid SAS controller be decent enough for that purpose?

Thanks Again,
Casey

It doesn't have onboard SAS controllers. Only SATA. So, you have 2 choices. First is to swap those drives with Velociraptors, and run SATA raid instead, or get a SAS controller card.
April 13, 2009 8:59:07 AM

If you go all the way to the bottom of the page, you will see that it does include an LSI 8 port SAS controller.
!