Control fan speed (Speedfan not working)?

oscart

Distinguished
Dec 26, 2010
I just finished setting up my system: AMD Phenom II x6 1055t, stock heatsink, ASUS M4A785TD-EVO. OC to 3500 MHz, no overvoltage. The system runs stable on Prime95 overnight.
THe problem is the CPU Core temp. The CPU fan runs at 3500 rpm when idle and keeps that speed when 100% CPU loading until temps are 64 C (limit for 1055t CPU is 62 C). I tried to disable Q-fan in BIOS (which I had set up at 55C temp limit, didn't help at all) and installed Speedfan, which I set up according to http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/forum/294688-10-help-cooler-noise#t2208424 with a warning T of 57C. This also didn't change CPU fan behaviour. It keeps reaching 64C for some time until it increases CPU fan speed just to cool it down to 59C.
Any way I can get better control over this CPU fan speed?
Thanks.

Solution
best budget option would be the hyper 212+ for around $30... very good heatsink with a decent 120mm fan not all that noisy... and in future you can also add another fan for push pull if needed...

shopblt has it for $26.90 with free shipping...
Buy.com has it for $28.99 including shipping
Directron.com has it for $29.95 including shipping
Wallmart has it for $29.99 at your nearest wallmart...
nextwarehouse has it for $30.69 including free shipping
Amazon has it for 31.55 including shipping
newegg has it for $37.55 including shipping

Edit - one other thing... ensure your case is at least 7.1" (180mm) wide without a side fan on top of the cooler area... with side fan then minimum width...

oscart

Distinguished
Dec 26, 2010
The fan increases when tocuh 62C, but because of the heating inertia and the increase being so little, the CPU gets to 64C for some 5 mins.
That's why I'd like to control the triggering Temperature.

abully

Distinguished
Sep 7, 2010
Now something is wrong somewhere... you have disabled Q-fan in bios and followed all instructions as per the post referenced above but still not working... can you list out all the changes you have done in order (bios and speedfan) including setting that were on previously and to the setting you have changed to??? maybe that'll help me identify the problem...

Also list the fan and/or cooler make and model if its not the stock cooler...

oscart

Distinguished
Dec 26, 2010
I have the graph for the fan speed and core temp according to Speedfan. How can I post that?

What I did:

In BIOS: Disabled Q-FAN (other stuff not fan related, but I can list if necessary), it was previously enabled with a temperature of 50C even though it didn't do much at all.

In Speedfan: on configure... under temperature tab I deselected the tick-box for other Temp1, Temp2, Temp3 and HD0 and also all their tick-boxes corresponding to speed 01, 02, 03 etc...; then on Core temp I set the desired temp at the bottom at 35C and max at 57C, select the tick-box next to it (show in tray) and deselect all speed 01, 02, 03... but Speed04 which is the CPU fan.

Then go to speeds tab and on Speed04 I set at the bottom 50% as the lowest and 100% as the max and select the automatically variated tick-box

Then go to options tab and make delta value for fan speeds 1, keep the tick box next to it is ticked (set fans 100% on program exit)

And activate the speedfan control by ticking below the configure button saying automatic fan speed., then minimize and keep speedfan in the background monitoring.

The fan/ Heatsink is the stock cooler, I guess it should be controlled by speedfan also, right?

oscart

Distinguished
Dec 26, 2010
I realized that in fact Speedfan partially controls the CPU speed fan.

What I found: While maintaining the CPU at 100% load all the time, I set warning temp core as 60C and min fan speed as 50%; then when the CPU is running cool (T<60C) I can lower then fan speed at 50% (min setting in Speedfan) and the speed lowers from the "idle" 3300 rpm to some 2900 rpm. The CPU then heats up and when T=60, Speedfan increases fan speed slowly (Delta=1) until it reaches the max fan speed set (100%), but the problem is that this 100% is 3300 rpm. So it means that there's another software or hardware limiting the speed fan to 3300 rpm until the T=62C.
Also, if the CpU cools back down to the safe area, Speedfan doesn't lower the speed fan to 50% again, but stays at 100% all time, which setting should I change for that to happen?

abully

Distinguished
Sep 7, 2010
OK... if you read the entire post you referenced earlier you would have noted about a small change required under advanced tab... do that change and check it...

Also usually speed01 is for cpu fan... there is no harm in keeping all the speeds ticked under Core temp (provided there are no other fans connected to the mobo) and setting the same setting for all speeds under the speeds tab...

also whats the temp when you start the pc??? are your idle temps less than 35C???

oscart

Distinguished
Dec 26, 2010
OK... if you read the entire post you referenced earlier you would have noted about a small change required under advanced tab... do that change and check it...

I didn't have to do anything in the advance tab, since all PWModes are set to Software controlled by default.

Also usually speed01 is for cpu fan... there is no harm in keeping all the speeds ticked under Core temp (provided there are no other fans connected to the mobo) and setting the same setting for all speeds under the speeds tab...

Done.

also whats the temp when you start the pc??? are your idle temps less than 35C???

Idle is 25C.

abully

Distinguished
Sep 7, 2010
OK... i dont know but this may work... try keeping the Q-fan enabled and then try the settings in speedfan as above and see if this works...

Also apart from software controlled what are the options you get in the advanced tab???

Edit
You said
"In BIOS: Disabled Q-FAN (other stuff not fan related, but I can list if necessary), it was previously enabled with a temperature of 50C even though it didn't do much at all. "

In your mobo manual i cant see temp settings under Q-fan... its only enabled or disabled... so where did you see the temperature???

lowjack989

Distinguished
Oct 30, 2009
I suggest if your OCing get an aftermarket cooler...Thats a pretty good amount of extra clock to make the stock HSF get a little overpowered...As for speedfan not working, What version are you using? Version 4.41 worked to control fanspeed but 4.42 did not for me..It looks like you configured right...Idle is 25c and this thing tops off at 64c, :sweat: .

oscart

Distinguished
Dec 26, 2010

I enabled Q-Fan again... no change.
My BIOS lets me choose the temperature at which the automatic control starts through Q-Fan, which I set to 51C (the min available). Check this: http://www.silentpcreview.com/article967-page3.html

Speedfan advance tab gives the options 1) ON/OFF; 2) Software controlled; 3) ON/OFF; 4) SmartGuardian.
I tried SmartGuardian and it set up the fan at 1500 rpm and the CPU temp reached 68C, since I still was at 100% CPU Load. I set it up back to Software controlled.

oscart

Distinguished
Dec 26, 2010

Yes, I am OCing... and yes, I should get a better cooler. But before spending some bucks, I wanted to be able to see how far I could go with the stock HSF. I just don't see why the HSF should let the CPU work at 60-64C when 100% load and minimize its speed... I would prefer having faster fan speed (more noisy, I dont care) and temps in the safer 50-55C when 100% load.

About Speedfan, I have the version 4.42. Maybe I should try 4.41... that will be next year. I'll come back with the result. Anyhow, as I posted, there seems to be certain control, but it lloks like some other process is controlling the fan at the same time.

abully

Distinguished
Sep 7, 2010
OK... reset everything in bios to default recommended setting... then change the setting for Q-fan only... your mobo's manual doesnt have temperature control for speedfan... and i cant see any of the bios setting your link shows...This is what i got from your boards' manual... under HW Monitor Configuration the options are
1. CPU/MB Temp
2. CPU/Chassis/Power Fan speed
3. Vcore Voltage
4. Smart Q-FAN Function (Enabled or Disabled)

If you are seeing like in the link then just disable Q-Fan, save and exit... dont change any other setting...

Ensure you have plugged the fan to the CPU fan header in the mobo... You were saying that the CPU fan is under speed 04... usually its speed 01... and whats the fan name??? usually its Fan1...

I use speedfan 4.41 and it works for me so use that for now...then do the setting like how i said earlier and try... it has to be software controlled in advanced...

Edit - Just wondering if you have installed any bios monitoring software from Asus like ASUS probe or Smart Doctor which runs in windows???

oscart

Distinguished
Dec 26, 2010
I did so, BIOS reset to default, cranked up the FSB and disabled QFAN. No change.

In Speedfan, it is the 4th fan in the list, described as Fan1.

No software installed for BIOS monitoring, in fact, i reinstalled Windows, so not much is there other than OS.

I ran into this article about AM3 Stock heatsink: http://www.silentpcreview.com/amd-phenom-coolers
This may explain the what's going on (and why Speedfan is useless when high load over long time):

"The fan also appeared to be temperature controlled as during load testing at 7V and below, the fan speed increased even though it was being powered by an external power supply (the RPM sensor wire was connected to a motherboard fan header for real-time fan speed monitoring)."

"The fan also appeared to be temperature controlled as during load testing at 7V and below, the fan speed increased even though it was being powered by an external power supply (the RPM sensor wire was connected to a motherboard fan header for real-time fan speed monitoring)."

I just wonder if I could set the temperature threshold.

abully

Distinguished
Sep 7, 2010
You said CPU fan is listed as the 4th fan... how many other fans are connected and what are they called???

for example see the pic below for a stock speedfan config with no name alterations...

You can see there are two fans listed; Fan 1 is the CPU fan and Fan 2 is the case fan... the system has only these two fans and both are connected to the respective slots in the mobo... and below you can see there are 3 speed settings available (this comes with the mobo)...

can you send a screenshot of your speedfan window???

oscart

Distinguished
Dec 26, 2010
Here you have the image:

http://img211.imageshack.us/i/speedfanb.png

As you see, I have 8 fans, being relevant only the second Fan1, which is the actual CPU fan. I don't have my case fans attached to the mobo.

Here you have an example of monitoring the core T and CPU fan speed. The CPU load is kept at 100% all time (Prime95) and the increase of T is because of the house heating system turning on. You see the CPU fan becomes insensitive unless the Core T reaches dangerous T:

http://img341.imageshack.us/i/speedfan1.png

Speedfan is turned off, but it makes no difference being on.
Thanks.

abully

Distinguished
Sep 7, 2010
OK... first thing i noticed is speedfan is reading different sets of thermistors... thats why you have two fan1, fan2 and fan3...

I'm writing this from my ipad which doesnt have speedfan so i cant reply as to what to check right now... gimme some hours and i'll get back to you...

abully

Distinguished
Sep 7, 2010
OK... this is what i want you to do... under configure go to Fans tab and tick only the Fan1 which is showing the rpm's... untick all other fans... click OK...

you should see all other fans disappear from the main window... now see if the speedfan works...

i would also like you to provide screenshots of temperature tab, fan tab, speed tab, advanced tab... also copy and paste the all detection message at the window where it last says end of detection...

oscart

Distinguished
Dec 26, 2010
Here is the detection message:

Win9x:NO 64Bit:YES GiveIO:NO SpeedFan:YES
I/O properly initialized
Linked ISA BUS at $0290
Linked ATI SBx00 SMBUS at $0B00
Linked ISA BUS at $0CCB
SB7xx/8xx PM2 found on ISA at $CCB
Scanning ISA BUS at $0290...
SuperIO Chip=IT8712F(J)
IT8712F(J) found on ISA at $290
Scanning AtiIgp SMBus at $0B00...
Scanning ISA BUS at $0CCB...
Found HITACHI HDS7250SASUN500G 0731KL1WSF on AdvSMART
Found IC25N060ATMR04-0 on AdvSMART
End of detection
Loaded 0 events

And here are the images, please note in the advanced tab that the CPU fan is the one corresponding to the PWM 4 mode:

http://img135.imageshack.us/i/temptab.png/
http://img29.imageshack.us/i/fantab.png/
http://img88.imageshack.us/i/speedtab.png/
http://img545.imageshack.us/i/advancedtab.png/

abully

Distinguished
Sep 7, 2010
OK... first change - under advanced tab PWM 1 mode should be software controlled... in the speeds tab you'll see that speed04 corresponds to PWM1 sensor and right now thats controlled by smartguardian which you should have disabled in bios (Q-FAN)...

I think this was the problem... change it and let me know whether it works...

oscart

Distinguished
Dec 26, 2010
Here is how advanced tab looks like now.
I apologize, I though for the snapshot Q-Fan was disabled but it had it enabled for some testing.

http://img210.imageshack.us/i/advanced2.png/ , now I double checked Q-FAN is disabled.

I have max temp as 55 C and this is what happens again:

http://img266.imageshack.us/i/notcontrolled.png/

The CPU fan does not increase over 3400 rpm unless T is 63 C. Speedfan is reporting Speed04 as 100% (full power).