Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question
Closed

Phenom II X2 vs Core 2 Duo

Tags:
  • CPUs
  • Core
  • AMD
  • Phenom
Last response: in CPUs
Share
July 12, 2009 6:28:12 PM

Alright guys, I'm in the position to buy a new CPU and need to buy a new mobo anyway so I thought it would be fun to see what AMD has to offer.

What do you think is the better buy the AMD Phenom II X2 550 Black Edition or the Core 2 Duo E8400?

More about : phenom core duo

July 12, 2009 6:41:10 PM

http://itreviewed.net/index.php/amd-phenom-ii-x2-550-bl...

I believe it is very close to performance with the E8400 and the price tag is lower. Then we get into the realm of OCing it does hold its own there too. AND THEN we have the possiblity of quad core unlock with the right board. Also doesnt the PII 550 support DD3 while the e8400 doesnt? Correct me if Im wrong but those are some good reasons to buy the PII 550.
July 12, 2009 6:42:34 PM

You specifically said "better buy," so I say Phenom II x2 550.

The e8400 has a higher overclocking headroom, but people can reach 4ghz with the 550, and although you really shouldn't rely on it; some people even unlocked the third and fourth cores with decent overclocking (3.5ghz-3.6ghz).

The e8400 will be marginally better, but for the price difference...
Related resources
July 12, 2009 6:56:45 PM

Hmmm looks like AMD finally has something that can at least compete, anyone recommend any good OCing boards for the PII 550?
July 12, 2009 7:00:23 PM

Gigabyte ma790xt-ud4p...................... excellent.

Also my favorite HSF for AM2/AM3 is a Thermal Take Spin-Q. It has great results for OCing on air. Although the V8 is a top contender too it is awefully big.
a b à CPUs
July 12, 2009 7:12:47 PM

The E8400 ($167) is way much more expensive than the 550 ($100), and faster only by little.
For less than the price of the E8400 you can get a Phenom II X4 920 (2.8 GHz) for $150 or the 940 X4 (3.0 GHz) for $185.
Any of the Phenom II X4s will be way much better than the E8400, for their price cannot be beaten. Decide upon your budget: the Phenom II X2 550 or Phenom II X3 710 for $100; the 920 for $150 or the 940 for $185.
a b à CPUs
July 12, 2009 7:16:20 PM

protokiller said:
Hmmm looks like AMD finally has something that can at least compete

Actually, the Athlon X2s and original Phenoms could compete well at their corresponding price points, its just that the Core 2 family performed better, but for 2x the price.
July 12, 2009 7:16:49 PM

Is it possible to unlock the extra 2 cores on the ma790xt-ud4p?
July 12, 2009 8:42:55 PM

I'd hate to double post but newegg lists the GIGABYTE GA-MA790XT-UD4P as supporting Phenom X3 and X4's, will the X2 even work?
a b à CPUs
July 12, 2009 11:30:21 PM

for the same price as E8400 (what i have) u can get AMD Phenom 720 BE. It east the e8400 right out of the box, imagine when u overclock it :)  aaaaand dont unlock cores, put more money in it and get a proper (real) quad cpu. the cores are locked for a reason.
July 13, 2009 2:09:02 AM

jimishtar said:
for the same price as E8400 (what i have) u can get AMD Phenom 720 BE. It east the e8400 right out of the box, imagine when u overclock it :)  aaaaand dont unlock cores, put more money in it and get a proper (real) quad cpu. the cores are locked for a reason.


Not always mate. Sometimes they are locked because of being defective, most times this is not the case. If you do unlock the 3rd and 4th core just make sure you load test the CPU intensively. If it fails you have a chip with two bad cores, just lock them back and enjoy the two you have. Yes it is possible to unlock PII 550 on the giga ma790xt.
July 13, 2009 2:20:51 AM

Theres a difference between not binning as functional for the length of the warrenty period, in a terribly ventilated case, and being useless.
July 13, 2009 2:24:11 AM

^ huh? im not following was that a random incomplete thought or are you trying to say something? If so rephrase please!
July 13, 2009 2:53:23 AM

smithereen said:
Theres a difference between not binning as functional for the length of the warrenty period, in a terribly ventilated case, and being useless.


xD. The beginnings of coherency... beautiful.

I'm pretty sure he's trying to address the fact that 550s do not necessarily have dysfunctional 3rd and 4th cores - rather, they were designated as 550s because

a) the cores might not last the warranty period, hence, losing AMD money in the long run. Longevity.
b) the CPU has to pass certain thermal specifications that include negligence on part of the user, such as poorly ventilated cases. In other words, working isn't enough; there has to be some thermal leeway.
c) and uh, the other conclusion, that the 3rd and 4th cores were dysfunctional.

My translation =).
July 13, 2009 2:56:41 AM

gotcha ..... It would have made more sense if he would have just said that!!!!
July 13, 2009 5:57:47 PM

Well, I was tired. And in something of a hurry. That's pretty much what I was trying to say. That the CPU may not bin as a 955 or 945, but that doesn't mean the the extra cores are completely useless.
July 13, 2009 6:01:26 PM

ahha well good then
July 13, 2009 8:31:24 PM

You're welcome smithereen.
July 13, 2009 9:59:02 PM

Belated thanks - and I wouldn't build with an e8500, it costs more than a 720, almost as much as a 940.
July 13, 2009 11:27:15 PM

Yes, but it is 55% more money. Sure, you will get higher FPS in most games, at least on a freshly installed and unbloated Windows install like benchmarking sites use, but that lead is reduced in the real world when you have itunes/bloatware/spyware/antivirus/torrents running in the background, and a 3.8gHz triple will easily best a 4.5gHz dual in more multithreaded apps.
a b à CPUs
July 14, 2009 12:06:53 AM

xtc28 said:
http://itreviewed.net/index.php/amd-phenom-ii-x2-550-bl...

I believe it is very close to performance with the E8400 and the price tag is lower. Then we get into the realm of OCing it does hold its own there too. AND THEN we have the possiblity of quad core unlock with the right board. Also doesnt the PII 550 support DD3 while the e8400 doesnt? Correct me if Im wrong but those are some good reasons to buy the PII 550.




you are mistaken. A core 2 cpu doesnt support any memory because the memory controller isnt on the chip. It is located on the northbridge, there are plenty of socket 775 boards that support ddr3.
July 14, 2009 1:36:59 AM

Yes, but it scarcely benifits.
a b à CPUs
July 14, 2009 2:12:49 AM

neither for amd
July 14, 2009 3:04:10 AM

you are right! ha ha...... but really I was pointing out a mute point that really means nothing, the PII/AII "Supports" DDR3 as the C2D does not. The reasons are as you stated in your above post. It is architecture specific placement of the RAM controller ..... AMD - on CPU die........ Intel - northbridge. Some would argue that a CPU direct link to the RAM Gives better/faster performance, as for me I cant really say. With that in mind, we have really said the same thing, only at first I really wasnt trying to get all technical and stuff. I was just trying to answer a question with the most efficient answer at that time. If the OP wanted to learn about memory controller he may have asked about memory controllers and not about a Processor. AND yes I mentioned RAM in an answer to a processor, because it is neat information to know that your PII/AII actually supports the memory, WHERe as the Intel counterparts do no such thing.
a c 127 à CPUs
a b À AMD
July 14, 2009 3:13:29 AM

xtc28 said:
you are right! ha ha...... but really I was pointing out a mute point that really means nothing, the PII/AII "Supports" DDR3 as the C2D does not. The reasons are as you stated in your above post. It is architecture specific placement of the RAM controller ..... AMD - on CPU die........ Intel - northbridge. Some would argue that a CPU direct link to the RAM Gives better/faster performance, as for me I cant really say. With that in mind, we have really said the same thing, only at first I really wasnt trying to get all technical and stuff. I was just trying to answer a question with the most efficient answer at that time. If the OP wanted to learn about memory controller he may have asked about memory controllers and not about a Processor. AND yes I mentioned RAM in an answer to a processor, because it is neat information to know that your PII/AII actually supports the memory, WHERe as the Intel counterparts do no such thing.


HTT and QPI does give a nice performance boost but normally only in memory intensive apps used on servers. Thats why a Core 2 could beat a Athlon X2 when it came out and still held its own by beatting the first gen Phenoms.

Memory support itself and where it is is useless unless he plans on doing memory intensive tasks. If gaming or normal desktop stuff like we do then it makes no difference at all.

I for one would have a hard time on what to suggest here. I mean both do very well, the E8400 OCs like crazy too. And as for the quad unlock, I highly doubt AMD will let it happen this time. That would kill their profit margins. Remember that its basically the same quad core as its equal clocked counterpart just much lower in price. So if instead of someone buying a quad they pick up a dual and unlock the other two cores, AMD loses money.

I myself wouldn't do that anyways. I don't mind OCing, well moderate like my Q6600 @ 3GHz, but thats not the same as a bad core. I just don't see how safe it could be. Next thing you know your OS takes a dump and all your files are corrupted.
July 14, 2009 3:31:08 AM

Im done here I hope you have at least checked the specs and benchmarks of the two, compared the life/price/performance of the products, and upgradeability of the platforms they are installed on. Have a nice day and dont feed the trolls.................
a b à CPUs
July 14, 2009 3:50:03 AM

I dont believe either jimmysmitty or myself to be trolls. Just stating facts.
July 14, 2009 3:53:36 AM

no I appologize I was not implying Either one of you are trolls Im just generally speaking. Dont feed the trolls! lol

Not you two or any in particular. Just TROLLS!

You two have placed invaluable advice for future readers. Please dont mistake what I say.
a c 127 à CPUs
a b À AMD
July 14, 2009 5:54:39 AM

So now I wounder if proto made a decision or is still looking at both boxes as lost as a husdand in the baby isle........
July 14, 2009 6:20:47 AM

hey Im a single father....... I resemble that remark....LOL
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
December 28, 2009 10:52:57 AM

Hi, guys.

Wich setup is better?:

Intel Core 2 Duo E8500
Gigabyte EP35-DS3L
8GB DDR2 Corsair TWIN2X 800Mhz

(this I have now)

or

AMD Phenom II X2 545
Gigabyte Gigabyte MA785GT-UD3H
6GB DDR3 Apacer GOLDEN 1333Mhz

(I want to buy it)

---------------
thanks for answers
a b à CPUs
December 28, 2009 11:12:49 AM

Quote:
Hi, guys.

Wich setup is better?:

Intel Core 2 Duo E8500
Gigabyte EP35-DS3L
8GB DDR2 Corsair TWIN2X 800Mhz

(this I have now)

or

AMD Phenom II X2 545
Gigabyte Gigabyte MA785GT-UD3H
6GB DDR3 Apacer GOLDEN 1333Mhz

(I want to buy it)

---------------
thanks for answers

Id recommend the athlon II x3 435 or the x4 620. Either of these kills the 545 and 550 in most apps and multithreaded games, it only gets beat in single thread games and not by much.
December 28, 2009 12:19:28 PM

i MUST SAY THE ONE YOU HAVE NOW
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
December 28, 2009 12:25:24 PM

noob2222 said:
Id recommend the athlon II x3 435 or the x4 620. Either of these kills the 545 and 550 in most apps and multithreaded games, it only gets beat in single thread games and not by much.


Is Athlon II X3 435 better than Phenom II X2 545???
But Athlon don't have 6MB L3 cache ... only 1,5MB L2
a b à CPUs
December 28, 2009 12:41:24 PM

Quote:
Is Athlon II X3 435 better than Phenom II X2 545???
But Athlon don't have 6MB L3 cache ... only 1,5MB L2

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/athlon-ii-x3,2452-8...

Compare the stock vs stock in the chart, missing l3 casche isn't as bad as missing an entire core.

If you overclock, you might get lucky and have a x4 unlocked with the 435, but its no guarantee.
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
December 28, 2009 1:27:37 PM

noob2222 said:
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/athlon-ii-x3,2452-8...

Compare the stock vs stock in the chart, missing l3 casche isn't as bad as missing an entire core.

If you overclock, you might get lucky and have a x4 unlocked with the 435, but its no guarantee.


Hmm...interesting...
Can unlocking 4th core do any damage to the processor if something goes wrong?
----------
If I don't want to overclock, is there possibility to unlock 4th core??

Thank you very much for all your answers
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
February 8, 2010 3:45:54 AM

I have already buy the Phenopm II prosesor from Sunflower Electronics Aizawl. I hope I have choosed a good one.
February 8, 2010 5:04:03 AM

Wow somebody resed my thread!

I ended up getting an E8200 off of ebay for $90 and overclocking it to 3.2GHz and I'm happy with it, although I'm sure the amd chip would have been fine too but at the price I paid for the e8200 and cheap mobo I'm satisfied.
November 10, 2010 10:14:35 PM

guys, get the MSI motherboard if you want to unlock the 4th core on e.g. a Phenom 2 X2 555 Black Edition.

I know this coz i spend 2 days on my research on this, all the decent MSI boards have the feature to unlock, in fact that's what they advertised as their main features/overview on their website.

For example, the MSI 770-C45 or MSI 760GM-E51 can both unlock.

I only just upgraded my HTPC 2 days ago and got the X2 555 Black Edition and the MSI 760GB-E51 and unlocked to 4 cores and OC to 3.6GHZ with stock cooler.

Those 2 MSI boards are good for overclocking too, MSI boards have OC switch that you can use, and if i remember correctly, all the articles you find about unlocking hidden cores all use MSI boards.
a b à CPUs
a b À AMD
November 11, 2010 3:12:04 AM

This topic has been closed by Mousemonkey
!