Impressions(Hyper 212 Plus)

BeCoolBro

Distinguished
Feb 27, 2010
Today,I finally got to install the hyper 212 I had bought.My case had no opening to access the back of my mobo so I was a bit hesitant to remove everything as hadn't done it again.
An installation tip:
First,I suggest following this guide from Saint19 as a written guide and this vid from Coolermaster as a visual guide.
Most of the installation was straightforward.A question that bugged me though was how to apply the thermalpaste.The 212+ is an HDT cooler and as a result there are gaps between the exposed heatpipes which had to be filled with TIM.I put some Arctic Cooling Ceramique on the heatsink's base and spread it using a card until most of it was on the card and there was a thin layer covering the base.Then I put 4 lines of paste on every heatpipe.That as you will see below gave great results.
My impressions:
I couldn't be more happy about my purchase.My i5 750 at stock was idling at the mid 40s and had a load temp of 78c.That was too much considering that the ambient temp of my room is 20c.The hyper 212 brought that down to 30c idle and 45c load temp!
I'll post some pictures as soon as I can.
Thanks to anyone who has read this post the end :)

In my guide exist a link about the best TIM applications modes. The best IMO, apply the thermal paster to you CPU and use a credit or debit card to cover all the CPU, after that install the cooler.

abully

Distinguished
Sep 7, 2010
^+1... i use a loose plastic sheet covering my finger to apply it evenly on the cpu... If you dont want to waste an ATM card you can use a hard visiting card as well...

BeCoolBro

Distinguished
Feb 27, 2010
That's an effective method too but that way you wouldn't be sure that the thermalpaste is enough to fill the gaps between the heatpipes(and I find it a bit more difficult to do) :)

abully

Distinguished
Sep 7, 2010
This application method has no problem for QUALITY Direct Touch Heatpipes coolers... The indentations are negligible in quality DTH coolers and easily covered by an even thin layer of TIM... it should be a thin layer but not like a smear and definitely not like a cream topping...

BeCoolBro

Distinguished
Feb 27, 2010

I tried the cream topping the first time I installed a cooler.The result was 99c idle.