Hard drive temps too high?

zm15

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2009
I have 3 hard drives inside my Antec Sonata III 500 case. I have 1 Seagate 7200.10 250GB hard drive, a Samsung F3 1GB drive, and a 500GB seagate 7200.10 hard drive. All 7200rpm

I have an external 2GB Samsung 5400rpm drive.

I'm finding that the 250GB seagate consistently sits around 50-55 C when the cover is on, when I take the case cover off, it hovers around 50. The 1GB Samsung and 500GB Seagate sits around 41 w/ cover off, and 45 w/ cover on.

The external sits around 40 C consistently.

Normal heating at cooling in my house, temp kept at 72F or below.

Are these internal temps too high for my drives? I'm thinking about getting a bigger case with better airflow bc of it. Thoughts?

I don't think those temps are too high, but have you thought about adding a 120mm fan to the front? It mounts behind the hard drive cage and draws more air in from the front of the case across the drives. Just make sure your vid card isn't too long or it might hit the fan.

zm15

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2009
I didn't even realize you can do that! Do you have this case? Does it seem to help?

I have a water cooler, the H50, so it's sucking air in, I suppose i could push it forward across the drives to the front.

I have the older Sonata II case, but as far as I can tell the fan mounts in the same place. Someone posted on a forum here. If you click on the link in the 1st post it shows his Sonata III case with fan.

I have a full drive cage (4 drives) and they run anywhere from 36°C (winter) to 48°C (summer). This is using a low RPM fan for less noise. I'm sure it would stay cooler with a higher RPM fan. Also, if the Sonata III still uses the tri-cool fan at the rear, you may want to turn the fan on high.