Sign in with
Your question

USB wireless keyboard typing wrong characters

Last response: in Components
July 12, 2009 11:23:05 PM

I got a Microsoft Wireless Comfort Keyboard 4000. It has been working fine up until I wanted to format my PC.

The moment I put in my Windows XP Professional CD to format the computer, the wrong characters are being inputted, for example I press "w" and "r" is the character pressed. Every button is mixed up. So I had to plug in an old PS/2 keyboard to get the job done. The problem now arises even before Start Up and in DOS everything.

the PS/2 keyboard works fine, and I used that to format and set up my fresh copy of Windows XP. After everything was running I thought that maybe Windows would detect new drivers that will solve the problem, didnt work. I installed the latest Microsoft Intellitype software/drivers didnt work.

After browsing the net everyone has been saying its got something to do with Regional Options..

my settings are:

Regional Options Tab
English(Australia) - Measurement System set to Metric

Languages Tab
English (Australia) - US

Advanced Tab
English(Australia)

The most stupidest problem I have ever encountered in my Life and I cant figure it out please help me someone. *** is driving me crazy.
July 12, 2009 11:24:52 PM

I've also tried deleting the keyboard from Device Manager,
deleting the USB Root Hubs, and the Human Interface Devices nothing works.
July 12, 2009 11:29:04 PM

i just tried it on another PC and the same problem occurs.
Related resources
July 13, 2009 2:25:56 PM

Have you tried new batteries in the k/b? Or at least cleaing their contacts?

Andrew
July 13, 2009 8:09:48 PM

i figured out the problem, it was the signal from the wireless keyboard to the reciever. Apprently the signal was not turned on properly, after pressing the connect button the wireless keyboard it worked normal again.
March 7, 2011 11:28:49 PM

hey guys ,ya same problem on Microsoft Wireless Comfort 1.0 A, the problem was resolved when you you click the button on the "Microsoft Wireless tranceiver" the black thing with an A 1 and F icon
May 30, 2011 9:57:03 AM

nednerb said:
i figured out the problem, it was the signal from the wireless keyboard to the reciever. Apprently the signal was not turned on properly, after pressing the connect button the wireless keyboard it worked normal again.

Thanks Nednerb. Your solution works for iMacs. I did all updates for the IntelllType Pro and yet I was getting wrong Key-characters. I tried your solution and wuaaah, it worked like charm. kudos nednerb. :bounce:  :bounce:  :bounce: 

!