xaira

Distinguished
I Have an athlon x2 4400+ brisby and rescently my pc has been shutting off every so often
, its gotten so bad it wont stay on past 1 minute, sometimes it shuts off before it even posts, when it does stay on it runs good no voltage fluctuations, temps stay under 60 etc
got a cheap cpu, problem gone, my question is, will it be smart to hotwire the psu green line so it cant shut down unless i throw a switch?

Any replies are appreciated.

xaira

Distinguished
Thx 4 the replies

The psu is not the problem

u no that if u short the green line on a 24 pin atx connector the psu wont be able to shut down, the psu is running fine with the new cpu i got so its not the problem, the problem is the old cpu wich is telling the pc to shut down. but if i hotwire it to say a light switch, click its on and no matter how the cpu tries, it stays on, unless i fip the switch off, the old cpu is 65w and the new cu is 62w.

I doubt that the old CPU is telling the motherboard to shutdown the PSU (unless it overheats). The PSU probably shuts down because it isn't powerful enough for the load. Forcing the PSU to stay on no matter what is a fire hazard and it could destroy several components if something goes wrong with your system. If you are convinced that the CPU is causing the issue, then replace it.

loneninja

Distinguished
Wouldn't it be the motherboard telling the system to shut down not the cpu? And you'd think if you force it to stay on when it tries to shut down that the system would just crash or have other problems.