Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

GPU = CPU?Help!

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
Share
April 29, 2009 9:21:48 PM

I have dual GTX 280s and I'm wondering if there's an application or something simlilar I can run to make my GPUs which receive nearly no work from my primary applications (WoW, VLC, browsing...) but when I crank WoW up to the highest settings my CPU is getting smashed... I have a Core i7 build (920 OC to 3.2GHz on air, stable) 6 Gigs of RAM, and a velociraptor HDD. It's not a crap computer but it's nothing to get all excited over either. Anyway, just trying to find a way to offload some of the CPUs load onto the GPUs... Thanks.

More about : gpu cpu

a b U Graphics card
a b à CPUs
April 29, 2009 9:25:19 PM

Dual 280's for WoW? You got overkill wrapped up at least. ;) 

Seriously, no you can't offload work on the cpu to the gpu just yet. Not games at least. Your i7 shouldn't be getting taxed by any of the stuff you mentioned either.
a b U Graphics card
a b à CPUs
April 29, 2009 9:32:51 PM

chris89861 said:
It's not a crap computer but it's nothing to get all excited over either. Anyway, just trying to find a way to offload some of the CPUs load onto the GPUs... Thanks.


Um, excuse me?

An i7 + Dual GTX280s is like a 2k rig. That is a high end computer...




Rich bastards... >_>
Related resources
April 29, 2009 11:29:43 PM

jennyh said:
Dual 280's for WoW? You got overkill wrapped up at least. ;) 

Seriously, no you can't offload work on the cpu to the gpu just yet. Not games at least. Your i7 shouldn't be getting taxed by any of the stuff you mentioned either.



With WoW cranked up to the maxx settings I'm only pulling about 30fps in crowded areas (Dalaran) where optimally I should never drop below the 50 range. I ran FRAPS in parallel with WoW during a raid and dropped my typical raid framerate from the 80's to near 20. I dont have the money to shell out for a QX9770 which would keep me above 60 regardless of what I was doing since WoW does all of it's rendering on the CPU. Which brings me back to my original question. How can I redirect operations from my CPU to my GPU since Blizzard has yet to make a patch or WoW client that will render using hardware that's built for it?
April 29, 2009 11:31:34 PM

(plus I have to disable SLI because with WoW there's currently an issue with 64 bit OS running video cards in SLI, you'll actually take a performance hit if you utilize both cards...)
a b U Graphics card
a b à CPUs
April 30, 2009 12:55:43 AM

chris89861 said:
With WoW cranked up to the maxx settings I'm only pulling about 30fps in crowded areas (Dalaran) where optimally I should never drop below the 50 range. I ran FRAPS in parallel with WoW during a raid and dropped my typical raid framerate from the 80's to near 20. I dont have the money to shell out for a QX9770 which would keep me above 60 regardless of what I was doing since WoW does all of it's rendering on the CPU. Which brings me back to my original question. How can I redirect operations from my CPU to my GPU since Blizzard has yet to make a patch or WoW client that will render using hardware that's built for it?


It's bad coding, can't be helped.

And if 30fps is good enough for shooters, it's more than good enough for an MMO-RPG

a c 1369 U Graphics card
a b Ý World of Warcraft
a c 863 à CPUs
April 30, 2009 1:21:36 AM

What resolution do you play at?
!