MSCONFIG problem

Have a listing in my msconfig as follows:

/L:Eng

When this is checked to run at startup Windows XP opens WinExplorer and
defaults to the System 32 folder on the desktop. The reference in MSCONFIG
is to "Software/Microsoft/Windows/CurrentVersion/Run" in Regedit. However,
I find no reference to this tag in either of the locations for
"currentversion/run" in Regedit.

If I uncheck the box and reboot I'm fine. I would like, however, to find
the basis for the line and, if not needed, remove it's reference from
regedit so it doesn't load in the future.

A search of regedit doesn't find any text matching the entry.

Thanks!

Look here:

and here but be sure to read the top part FIRST:
Line 260 - right hand side

It sounds like an invalid entry, part of something that
was removed but not completely, thus the /L:Eng which
probably designates English as the particular "flavor" of
the original (now screwed up) program entry.

Good Luck !

I've been to both the sites shown below...

1. Only incomplete entry in the "run" section is for Symantec's
CleanSweep. Then item is listed as "QD FastAndSafe" with nothing listed in
the values section. Not sure just what it's needed for / could not find any
reference to the entry in Symantec's knowledge base. I assume I could
delete the key/value and see if the problem goes away. That's the only
incomplete/ empty listing. There are none with "" entries on the right
side.

2. The kellys-korner entry is an option (looked at this previously), but
I was hesitant to use it as my problem doesn't fit the conditions for which
the fix was listed. I don't have to go into IE (and don't get a blank
window when I do) and then reboot to have the problem occur.

It all seems to hinge on the one entry, e.g., /L:Eng and a reference to
the two instances where the "run" key is found in the registry. If I
activate the entry, the problem occurs. If I uncheck the box, the problem
goes away. I thought, same as you, that it referred to an English selection
for a program. However, I don't find any parms listed anywhere that
indicate that or any incomplete entries where it might "fit."

Should I go ahead and remove the QD FastAndSafe entry to see if it goes
away? I assume I could always reenter it as a new key if it's needed.

Thanks!

"MGGP" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Look here:
> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=170086
>
> and here but be sure to read the top part FIRST:
> Line 260 - right hand side
>
> It sounds like an invalid entry, part of something that
> was removed but not completely, thus the /L:Eng which
> probably designates English as the particular "flavor" of
> the original (now screwed up) program entry.
>
> Good Luck !

Yes, that's what I'd do . . .

Good Luck !

Have a look at this

System32 Folder Opens When Logging on to Windows XP
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=170086

--
Hope this helps. Let us know.
Wes