Sign in with
Your question

Phenom II x4 965 BE vs LGA1156 Core i7 2.8GHz

Last response: in CPUs
July 13, 2009 4:02:33 AM

I'm sitting here using my 939 based Athlon 64 CPU and Radeon x800 GPU. I'm pretty sure it's time for a new system.

I was ready to go with a Core i7 920 since it seemed like LGA1366 was going to be a good platform for the long term; but then I made the mistake that the compulsive types tend to do, I over researched the matter. I know any of these platforms are a craps shoot, but if I am reading things correctly, after the i7 920 starts to fade away, all that will be left on the LGA1366 platform are $800+ CPU's.

What I'm still uncertain of is this; are the LGA1156 i7 CPU's (In particular the 2.8Ghz model as discussed here) perform on par with the Phenom II x4 965BE (discussed here amongst other places)

I know it is still too early to tell and I'm not trying to instigate anything, just looking for some honest opinion. If the two are likely to be the same, I'll probably go AMD since it will be first out of the gate, but if there is good vibe that the 1156 i7's will perform as well as the 1366 i7's then perhaps I'll wait...
July 13, 2009 6:13:00 AM

Nobody can give you a definite answer on which i7 will be better. I'm assuming the 1156 will out perform the 1366. It would be bad for the company to release a top of it's class processor that cant outperform its predecessor.....makes no sense from a business standpoint.

Is your primary focus on gaming?
Related resources
a b à CPUs
July 13, 2009 7:07:04 AM

Snowbum said:
Nobody can give you a definite answer on which i7 will be better. I'm assuming the 1156 will out perform the 1366. It would be bad for the company to release a top of it's class processor that cant outperform its predecessor.....makes no sense from a business standpoint.

i7 is not the predecessor of i5. They are aimed at different markets. i5 is a mainstream chip, i7 is a high-end desktop/workstation chip.
July 13, 2009 12:47:28 PM

get the I7 1366
why? i tell you why p55 chip will not support SLI and (6 core i7) correct me iv im wrong
a b à CPUs
July 13, 2009 1:34:41 PM

P55 does support Sli and CF (at this time, both are apparently good to go with the same deal the x58 got) and the only limiting factor is the fact that it will ONLY support X16 lanes of PCIE2.0 for gfx due to integrated gfx controller

if you plan on a single card setup, or a relatively weak CF/SLI setup, I5 will do fine

otherwise, I7

But, if you do end up with a single card config, go with the Phenom II x4 965 BE or better yet, The X3 which will be still just as good as the X4, and then use the saved money on a SINGLE card gfx solution (if you go CF/SLI, there is some evidence that the I7 system is better, not sure if it translates into I5 with the gimped gfx controller on the CPU but we can only see)
!