Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Thinking of buying/building a new PC, some questions.

Last response: in Systems
Share
April 8, 2009 4:13:01 PM

My PC has come to the point that every new game runs with slowdown, so I was thinking of buying or building a new one. Something decent and fairly cheap that will last me a couple years gaming wise.

My big worry is that I won't get my old games to work. Assuming that I use XP, is there anything to consider hardware wise to make sure my old games work on my new system?

Does dual core processors have trouble with older games?

Also, wshadoutill Windows XP be alive game wise for the next couple years or will I have to upgrade to Vista/Windows 7?

Any recommended video card/CPU manufacturers or does it depend on the card?

Thanks! :) 
a b B Homebuilt system
April 8, 2009 5:01:01 PM

XP will still run games for a long time. It's just that Vista or Windows 7 have DirectX 10, which makes some (newer) games look better.

What's your budget? What country are you in?
April 8, 2009 7:20:35 PM

aevm said:
XP will still run games for a long time. It's just that Vista or Windows 7 have DirectX 10, which makes some (newer) games look better.

What's your budget? What country are you in?

U.S. I was hoping to spend less than $400.

I was thinking something along the lines of Andrew's system here. (without the keyboard,speakers,vista and mouse it is about $350)Except maybe a better video card. This or this look good for the price.

The system does not have to run games with settings to the max, but it would be nice if it could keep up with recommended requirements for a couple years :lol: 
Related resources
a b B Homebuilt system
April 8, 2009 8:04:48 PM

LOL at Amazon's 9500GT card for $70 after 60% off. You can buy a 9500GT at newegg for $50, and it doesn't even claim to be on sale.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814121270

Anyway, $75 buys you a Sapphire HD 4830, which is a lot faster than the 9500GT.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814102822

Or, $115 buys a GTS 250 (with free game CoD5), and that is even faster.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814121303

Maybe a faster HDD (but smaller)? WD3200AAKS 320GB, $55
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822136074
April 8, 2009 9:59:18 PM

Qwertykeys said:
My PC has come to the point that every new game runs with slowdown, so I was thinking of buying or building a new one. Something decent and fairly cheap that will last me a couple years gaming wise.

My big worry is that I won't get my old games to work. Assuming that I use XP, is there anything to consider hardware wise to make sure my old games work on my new system?

Does dual core processors have trouble with older games?

Also, wshadoutill Windows XP be alive game wise for the next couple years or will I have to upgrade to Vista/Windows 7?

Any recommended video card/CPU manufacturers or does it depend on the card?

Thanks! :) 


1. I'd move to Vista/Windows 7 because we all know that Microsoft will force you, in any way possible, to upgrade so they might leave Xp out on a big update/feature. I would consider DX10 as one of these.

2. I'd recommend ATI for the video card because they're better for the value and the processor depends on one thing in my mind. Intel and AMD are pretty close performance wise but I'd say get an Intel because it's my personal preference
a b B Homebuilt system
April 8, 2009 10:03:21 PM

@uncfan_2563 - I'm not sure what you're talking about when you say Intel blocks BIOS overclocking. The current Intel chips are excellent overclockers and I bet 95% of the people who have overclocked them did so through the BIOS. I know my trusty E6420 has been overclocked from 2.13GHz to 3.2GHz through the BIOS for 2 years now.
April 8, 2009 10:09:19 PM

shortstuff_mt said:
@uncfan_2563 - I'm not sure what you're talking about when you say Intel blocks BIOS overclocking. The current Intel chips are excellent overclockers and I bet 95% of the people who have overclocked them did so through the BIOS. I know my trusty E6420 has been overclocked from 2.13GHz to 3.2GHz through the BIOS for 2 years now.

really thats the impression i had. scratch that then..... i had read somewhere that was true, maybe that was only for pentium 4 system. thanks for the correction
a b B Homebuilt system
April 8, 2009 10:11:53 PM

I hate to keep bursting your bubble, but my old P4 system is overclocked from 2.4GHz to 2.8GHz - also through the BIOS. Better check your sources. :) 
April 8, 2009 10:21:00 PM

shortstuff_mt said:
I hate to keep bursting your bubble, but my old P4 system is overclocked from 2.4GHz to 2.8GHz - also through the BIOS. Better check your sources. :) 


well i had a 1.7 GHz P4 that did not have any overclock options. strange
a b B Homebuilt system
April 8, 2009 10:28:23 PM

My guess is that it was the motherboard that was locked down, not the CPU. That's especially true if it was an OEM computer like HP, Compaq, Dell, etc...
April 8, 2009 10:38:49 PM

shortstuff_mt said:
My guess is that it was the motherboard that was locked down, not the CPU. That's especially true if it was an OEM computer like HP, Compaq, Dell, etc...


my dad built it..
a c 122 B Homebuilt system
April 8, 2009 11:33:02 PM

Apparently with a locked motherboard.
a c 113 B Homebuilt system
April 9, 2009 3:14:51 AM

We tell people to ONLY use the BIOS to overclock their Intel CPUs on this forum. ;) 
!