Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Is my PSU Causing my FPS spike

Last response: in Components
Share
July 13, 2009 4:55:01 AM

My graphic card is a 9600GT (BFG) 512MB. Tested it on many games, it works fine for the most part. But on weaker games such as Team Fortress 2, and sometimes on stronger games like fallout 3. I'll notice my FPS spike considerably... Just the most rediculous choppy garbage ever. During Call Of duty 4 as well, I won't be able to play for the first 2 minutes from my FPS spiking from 100+ to 20. I was under the impression it may be my PSU.

Manufacturer: Dell Inc.
Processor: Intel(R) Pentium(R) D CPU 2.80GHz (2 CPUs)
Memory: 3070MB RAM
Hard Drive: 320 GB
Video Card: NVIDIA GeForce 9600 GT
Monitor: Plug and Play Monitor
Sound Card: Sound Blaster Live! 24-bit
Speakers/Headphones:
Keyboard: USB Root Hub
Mouse: USB Root Hub
Mouse Surface:
Operating System: Windows XP Home Edition (5.1, Build 2600) Service Pack 3 (2600.xpsp_sp3_gdr.090206-1234)
Motherboard:
Computer Case:

There's my computer specs, my PSU is a dynex( I know the brand is ***...) 550w power supply. I was wondering what might be causing this, my drivers are all upto date. Help would be appriciated, thanks for your time. Oh, and another thing, Is there a way to check my Card's temp from the NVIDIA control panel or is there a program that would allow me to check?

More about : psu causing fps spike

July 13, 2009 5:09:35 AM

Nelo6 said:
My graphic card is a 9600GT (BFG) 512MB. Tested it on many games, it works fine for the most part. But on weaker games such as Team Fortress 2, and sometimes on stronger games like fallout 3. I'll notice my FPS spike considerably... Just the most rediculous choppy garbage ever. During Call Of duty 4 as well, I won't be able to play for the first 2 minutes from my FPS spiking from 100+ to 20. I was under the impression it may be my PSU.

Manufacturer: Dell Inc.
Processor: Intel(R) Pentium(R) D CPU 2.80GHz (2 CPUs)
Memory: 3070MB RAM
Hard Drive: 320 GB
Video Card: NVIDIA GeForce 9600 GT
Monitor: Plug and Play Monitor
Sound Card: Sound Blaster Live! 24-bit
Speakers/Headphones:
Keyboard: USB Root Hub
Mouse: USB Root Hub
Mouse Surface:
Operating System: Windows XP Home Edition (5.1, Build 2600) Service Pack 3 (2600.xpsp_sp3_gdr.090206-1234)
Motherboard:
Computer Case:

There's my computer specs, my PSU is a dynex( I know the brand is ***...) 550w power supply. I was wondering what might be causing this, my drivers are all upto date. Help would be appriciated, thanks for your time. Oh, and another thing, Is there a way to check my Card's temp from the NVIDIA control panel or is there a program that would allow me to check?



Anyone...? http://www.futureshop.ca/catalog/proddetail.asp?logon=&... ( MY PSU)
July 13, 2009 5:13:22 AM

Im thinking its more your cpu, as if it were just your card, itd recover more quickly, and also be less likely seen in less demanding games. If you have other apps running that you can shut down, try that, see what happens
Related resources
July 13, 2009 5:15:29 AM

Also, is your hard drive going? Maybe need to defrag as well
July 13, 2009 5:16:59 AM

How can it be my cpu? My hard drive is goign wel Its only a few months old and I have defragged etc. It's in alright shape above 30% free space, but even when it was at 80% free space it would do the same. Does that mean my PSU has nothing wrong with it basically? its not impacting my card?
July 13, 2009 5:21:35 AM

It could. But the 9600 isnt known as a power hog, and your setup isnt either, so even a low brand psu should work.
Check your cpu usage, if its maxxed out, theres your culprit
July 13, 2009 5:23:03 AM

How do I check it
July 13, 2009 5:27:09 AM

cpuid, itll give high and low usage, so after gaming etc, you can check it, or simply use task manager, and leave it on with a slow reading, back out of the game quickly hitting cntrl ault delete, with it already running. If you have a pause do it in game, or even using in game control panel, it wont be so hard a jump on your system
July 13, 2009 5:37:52 AM

I dunno man, GPU is at a steady 61 degrees with a game running.. Your basically the only one answerin me.. thanks for helpin.. any more ideas?

Edit: Processor activity goes to about 60% Though
July 13, 2009 5:43:43 AM

60%? Thats maxxing it out in those games?
July 13, 2009 5:44:54 AM

I just ran Team Fortress 2 with it open, did the Cntrl alt delete thing. Yeah it spiked to 60%, then 58 , 50, till it spiked down etc. Is that bad?
July 13, 2009 5:46:31 AM

No. Not at all. Just trying to save you money.
July 13, 2009 5:47:29 AM

Bleh, Dunno what else to do... So It can't be my proccessor, or my PSU. what else is there..
July 13, 2009 5:59:42 AM

Look on the side sticker of your psu, probably says 20 amps on the 12 v. Not enough, youre looking at 28 amps minimum for a decent psu to run your rig
July 13, 2009 6:01:11 AM

Yeah, I've opened it up before, theres no sticker on there for sure. Should I just go over and talk to the tech dudes and ask them at futureshop, or best buy where I got the thing.
July 13, 2009 6:03:27 AM

Go with corsair, silverstone, pc&pccooling,enermax , theres other too
July 13, 2009 6:05:14 AM

It's total BULL. Cause I replaced my PSU 3 months ago when my HD broke down and I had to reg it replaced inorder for my PC to even start. Thats like... Going through 2 PSU's in 4 months, How rediculous? But thanks anyway dude, you were helpful. Learned a few things too.
July 13, 2009 6:05:32 AM

Just make sure it has 28 amps for the 12 volt rails combined, minimum, say, 18 amps per rail, with 2rails
July 13, 2009 6:07:17 AM

I dont really order stuff online, but you think you can help me pick a good one out? www.newegg.ca Is what most of my friends used and recommended. My price range is 110 dollars or less. Otherwise I might pick out a crap one again, and this last year has been quite a hassle PC wise for me... thanks again
a b ) Power supply
July 13, 2009 4:37:26 PM

I say it's your CPU not being able to keep up.
July 13, 2009 7:51:41 PM

anyone else?
July 13, 2009 8:26:07 PM

It probably is your cpu. Intel(R) Pentium(R) D CPU 2.80GHz ( Two P4 together)
Try to overclock your cpu to 3.2ghz+ and see if that helps.
What is the temp of your cpu?
July 13, 2009 8:42:30 PM

The tricky part is this. For 1, the psu is underpowered, and 2, in depends where in the games you are, as the demands on the cpu change depending on whats being used by the game.
I agree with invisik, if you can oc your cpu, do that first, tho again, the psu needs to be able to keep up, and may show even worse a scenario, as ocing will need more power. But, if it does respond well to oc, then its your cpu
July 13, 2009 8:46:14 PM

How do you OC?
July 13, 2009 8:49:29 PM

I think it is more likely to be hdd related, either hdd itself or background tasks( antivirus, antispyware, indexing, defragmenter, pagefile ect) accesing hdd the same time when game wants to. Check hdd activity light at the time you have lags.
July 13, 2009 8:55:17 PM

ainarssems said:
I think it is more likely to be hdd related, either hdd itself or background tasks( antivirus, antispyware, indexing, defragmenter, pagefile ect) accesing hdd the same time when game wants to. Check hdd activity light at the time you have lags.



I've closed all apps and ran it before. same outcome, its not just lags, its a base low fps with sets of lags... that make it go even lower. I was messing around with Fallout 3, tried playing it with 0 boosts super low quality. It gave me a base of about 60, but as I moved it would hit the 40's and 30's. - With All graphics down- When I turned it up I would get a base of about 50 and when I move around about 35, and spikes to about 15-10. Same with TF2, a less demanding game.. Turn everything down maybe a base of about 10 FPS higher, but as I move around it gradually has the same outcome no matter how many samples of of antilasing or graphic quality I put on.
July 13, 2009 10:28:37 PM

anything else? Just to make sure the PSU I posted in the above post's is able to run my graphic card right?
July 13, 2009 11:10:20 PM

Can you try a lessor resolution? Run your games at a lessor res, see if the fps goes way up, but keep the eye candy the same. If the fps goes way up, it means its putting less requirements on the gpu, and the cpu is keeping up.
If, on the other hand, the fps dont go way up, it means that its being held back by your cpu
July 14, 2009 12:28:03 AM

JAYDEEJOHN said:
Can you try a lessor resolution? Run your games at a lessor res, see if the fps goes way up, but keep the eye candy the same. If the fps goes way up, it means its putting less requirements on the gpu, and the cpu is keeping up.
If, on the other hand, the fps dont go way up, it means that its being held back by your cpu



Tried running in lower res, FPS stays the same with all the graphics up. On the box it says " requirements for this card. 425W PSU combined 12v current rating of 28A or more. so that's fine rite
July 14, 2009 1:15:23 AM

Actually, at a lower res, the fps should increase, as theres more stress being put on the cpu, and less on the gpu, since having a smaller res means actually less to render, or "draw" if you will, meaning the cpu cant increase the fps, which ulimately means its your cpu holding you back. The box for your card indeed does say that, and as Ive said, it needs 28 amps on both the 12 volt rails. 1 rail goes to mobo generally used, while the other goes to your gpu. Each should have, or give, a maximum of around 17-18 amps per rail, but with both, only allowing for 28 amps together, so 1 may only use 12 amps, while the other is free to use the other 16 amps left.
Your cpu is underpowered as well as your psu. Check with your mobo maker, and see what cpu upgrades are available. I dont know if your mobo is a socket 775 or not, and even if it is, will a C2D be compatible, but its worth checking out.
So, if your mobo allows for a C2D, getting both a cpu and a psu with at least 28 amps on the 12 volt rails would complete your setup, and allow for good balance with the card you have, and your gaming needs
a b ) Power supply
July 14, 2009 2:03:26 AM

It's not a PSU issue...if it was, you'd be crashing, experiencing blue screens, and system shutdowns.

Also, a 9600GT w/ a Pentium D does not need 24amps. That's more the rating of a 9800GT or even GTS250 setup. (9800GTX setup needs only 26 amps in the entire system) A 9600GT is suppose to be a low power card...even a 305watt PSU can run it.

And according to the manual, that Dynex PSU has two 12v rails, providing 15amps on rail 1 and 18amps on rail 2...for 33 amps total. I'mma take a guess and say his real amp output is gonna be 30 amps or less.

So that's more than enough.

Thus, here are some options:
1. check the temperatures to see if the CPU or GPU is not overheating

2. overclock the Pentium D a bit to see if that helps, might be cpu bottleneck and the task manager didn't pick it up very well

3. Check to see if you have the latest Nvidia drivers, and if you ever had an ATI card installed in the past, download special driver removing software to remove it

4. Virus/Adware Scan

5. Memtest
July 14, 2009 3:00:40 AM

Bluescreendeath said:
It's not a PSU issue...if it was, you'd be crashing, experiencing blue screens, and system shutdowns.

Also, a 9600GT w/ a Pentium D does not need 24amps. That's more the rating of a 9800GT or even GTS250 setup. (9800GTX setup needs only 26 amps in the entire system) A 9600GT is suppose to be a low power card...even a 305watt PSU can run it.

And according to the manual, that Dynex PSU has two 12v rails, providing 15amps on rail 1 and 18amps on rail 2...for 33 amps total. I'mma take a guess and say his real amp output is gonna be 30 amps or less.

So that's more than enough.

Thus, here are some options:
1. check the temperatures to see if the CPU or GPU is not overheating

2. overclock the Pentium D a bit to see if that helps, might be cpu bottleneck and the task manager didn't pick it up very well

3. Check to see if you have the latest Nvidia drivers, and if you ever had an ATI card installed in the past, download special driver removing software to remove it

4. Virus/Adware Scan

5. Memtest


Okay, I found an ATI folder so I uninstalled everything in that. How do i overclock my pentium D? my cpu and gpu remain below 70 degrees at all times. Did a virus/adaware scan found a few nothing that really helped. Havent got to the memtest yet. still no improvement so far :p 
a b ) Power supply
July 14, 2009 3:06:00 AM

Nelo6 said:
Okay, I found an ATI folder so I uninstalled everything in that


:D 

K, if you found an ATI folder, that means you need special driver cleaners to completely clean out the drivers.
(special registry cleaning tools)

The manual uninstall and control panel uninstall doesn't do a good job at completely cleaning out the ATI drivers. (often installs into folders that are not touched by uninstallation programs)


Use drivesweeper on a reboot in safemode:

http://www.guru3d.com/category/driversweeper/D


If that still doesn't improve your FPS, then we can move on to the other options.
July 14, 2009 3:20:17 AM

Alright well I downloaded the sweeper, hit ATI-display checked it off hit scan/clean. Quite a lengthy list of ATI drivers and other ati related files. I dont think they were removed though.. It spammed me with errors : " Acess Violation at adress 004D0040 in module 'Driversweeper.exe' of adress - Code of file- There was 2 login options that usually arent there.. the one im normally in and a " Administrator" one, But I'm set as teh admin anyway. Is that what it meant by acess violation? Any thoughts. ( Btw thanks for helpin)
a b ) Power supply
July 14, 2009 3:25:38 AM

No prob.
You might have to go into safemode and run it. And if you're running vista, disable the UAC and run as admin...or even log-in to the "true" admin account if you have to.
July 14, 2009 3:26:28 AM

Yeah i did it in safe mode, But i'll try logging in the admin one and give it another shot tell ya what happens when I do that.
July 14, 2009 3:42:37 AM

Alright, well I went int osafe mode (again) hit the cleaner went thru the same thing etc. But the driver and ATI files didnt show up, I guess they must have been removed anyway. Is there a way to make sure they're gone, since they are not showing up in the driver cleaner. + I went in TF2 , same issues. everythins up high and I get about 10-20 fps still. Anything else?

Edit: Found the files, deleted them. same issue tho
a b ) Power supply
July 14, 2009 4:42:32 AM

Hmmm, so you keep finding the files? In that case you might have to manually delete the folder and the folder its being contained in.

See if you can find out what the program location is and do some manual deletions. (delete anything it lists and anything ATI related)
July 14, 2009 4:43:15 AM

Nah, They're all deleted now.
a b ) Power supply
July 14, 2009 4:47:34 AM

k, reinstall the Nvidia drivers (official ones).

Then test the game again.

If that still doesn't work, do some disk defragging. If you are willing, run memtest and go eat/sleep/etc

I'm out for today, I'll help you out some more tomorrow if the problem persists.
July 14, 2009 4:48:11 AM

aright
July 14, 2009 5:56:47 AM

Just a update : I reinstalled drivers, nothing new still the same, disk defragged, nothing new. and how do I run memtest? and what kind of results am i supposed to be looking for?
July 14, 2009 6:31:48 PM

bump
July 14, 2009 9:37:06 PM

Nelo6 said:
bump


a b ) Power supply
July 14, 2009 11:37:13 PM

http://www.memtest86.com/

Download it, extract it, burn it to a floppy disk, CD disk, dvd, USB, etc

Then boot from it and your PC will run memtest.


Btw, what does it mean by "plug and play" monitor in the OP? Does your comp have integrated graphics in the motherboard?
July 15, 2009 1:02:18 AM

not sure to be honest
July 15, 2009 1:04:52 AM

not sure to be honest + I dont have anything to burn it to at the moment
July 15, 2009 2:53:40 AM

nothin else I can do?
!