jedediahpelland

Distinguished
Oct 6, 2010
So I have a E8400 dual core 3Ghz CPU, I am interested in overclocking it to 3.8Ghz, but have never really done any overclocking. I have EVGA precision, but it only seems to show settings for my GPU. I also have the nvidia tools installed. When I go to nvidia tools it shows my CPU at 333 MHz. So what is the best way to overclock my CPU? Do I need to change voltz or anything? And more importantly what is the best utility to use? Any help would be greatly appreciated. And I do I have an aftermarket cooler.

My Specs....

Nvidia 780i Sli MB
E8400 Dual core 3Ghz
Nvidia GTX 460
4Gb Corsair memory

Best way is to learn to use the BIOS.

This should be your first stop.
Core2 Overclocking Guide
http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/forum/259899-11-core-overclocking-guide

Next stop should be a guide for your particular motherboard. Google is your friend.
The nVidia 680i/780i BIOS is set up a little differently from most. You will need a motherboard specific guide.

Go through the guides. Then take your core voltage off Auto and set your memory voltage to factory recommended values. Change the System Memory Multiplier (or whatever your BIOS calls it) from AUTO to 2.00, 2.00B, or 2.00D - whichever you need to set the Memory Frequency to twice the FSB. Then when you increase the FSB, the memory clock will rise in in proportion with it. At an FSB freq of 333 MHz, your memory clock should be at 667 MHz.