Sign in with
Your question

Hardrive installation question

Last response: in Components
July 13, 2009 6:05:11 AM

So first time I'm building a computer and having ordered all the necessary parts off newegg, everything came in their original boxes except for the hardrive. The hardrive simply came in bubble wrap and in the anti-static bag and nothing else. I've been going by the manuals included in all the products during my installation but I have nothing guiding me on the hardrive. The hardrive is:
Western Digital Caviar Black WD6401AALS 640GB 7200 RPM 32MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive - OEM .

Anyways I tried looking at installation guides online and found the following off the western digital website, http://www.wdc.com/en/library/sata/2079-001042.pdf?wdc_.... The guide says that I need the "WD Sata cable with secure connect" which is nowhere to be seen in the parts delivered by newegg. Even more confusing still is my hardrive seems to be missing the "legacy ATA power connection" port. On the drive there is the SATA power connection and the SATA interface connection but nothing where the legacy power connection should be (all it is is a hole where you can see into the hardrive, it doesn't look like anything broke off though.) Anyone insight into this issue would be greatly appreciated, did newegg mess up in their packaging or am i missing something obvious? There are some SATA cables included with my mobo but they seem intended for external SATA drives and I'm not sure any of them would even fit. Thanks in advance!
July 13, 2009 8:40:57 AM

Connect it with a SATA power connector and SATA data cable. That's all it needs. I think the WD guide is out of date.

If your power supply doesn't have a SATA power connector, you can buy a Molex-to-SATA adapter. (Or your m/b might have come with one.)

Andrew
Related resources
July 13, 2009 9:16:00 AM

jimishtar said:
u just connect 2 cables on the drive: a molex power cable, and IDE cable. they are both from the PSU.
http://www-307.ibm.com/pc/support/site.wss/50794-harddc...

sorry but you need to check back with the high command on your home planet . Your advice could not be more wrong

A SATA hard drive has two connectors . One is a power connector from the power supply .
The other is a SATA cable that will connect to the motherboard . There will be one or more SATA cables in the mb box . The psu power connectors are on the psu

The OP has everything he needs
July 13, 2009 1:03:31 PM

That is what you get when you buy an OEM drive, you get the drive only and nothing else. If you needed install directions, software, cables, power connectors, etc. you needed to buy what is called a "Retail Kit".

You are in luck though, as your motherboard came with SATA cables to connect the drive to the SATA controller on the board, and your PSU will have the proper power connector, if is is a relatively new PSU made in the last 3 or 4 years anyway.

If you need help other than that to connect a hard drive, you need to stop what you are doing and enlist the help of someone who know's a little bit more about PC's.
If you don't, you are heading for trouble.
July 13, 2009 1:13:07 PM

JuicyJuice said:

The guide says that I need the "WD Sata cable with secure connect" which is nowhere to be seen in the parts delivered by newegg. Even more confusing still is my hardrive seems to be missing the "legacy ATA power connection" port. On the drive there is the SATA power connection and the SATA interface connection but nothing where the legacy power connection should be (all it is is a hole where you can see into the hardrive, it doesn't look like anything broke off though.)

"WD Sata cable with secure connect" - Later SATA data cables come with a metal clip that helps to retain the cable in the motherboard or drive.

"legacy ATA power connection" - 1st generation SATA drives came with them so you could upgrade without changing power supplies. I have a couple of WD 500 GB drives with both power connectors. Now, those are gone.

And last, the oem packaging. That means you get a bare drive in an antistatic baggie - hopefully in bubblewrap for protection.
That saves you $5 - $10 over the retail packaging.
!