Sign in with
Your question

ESATA-toSATA cable for attaching external enclosure

Last response: in Storage
November 10, 2010 4:21:56 PM

I have a Rosewill RX-358 external SATA drive enclosure which has an eSATA connector as well as USB. I also have a Rosewill RC-212 SATA controller card (PCI) which has two external "L" SATA ports. I was wondering if attaching the RX-358 to an external port on the RC-212 controller with an eSATA-to-SATA cable will work?

Thanks
November 12, 2010 2:56:11 PM

am_dew said:
I have a Rosewill RX-358 external SATA drive enclosure which has an eSATA connector as well as USB. I also have a Rosewill RC-212 SATA controller card (PCI) which has two external "L" SATA ports. I was wondering if attaching the RX-358 to an external port on the RC-212 controller with an eSATA-to-SATA cable will work?

Thanks

Well, I bought an eSATA-to-SATA cable and the results were completely unacceptable...the drive was very unstable and performance was horrible...so bad that HD Tune reported a "read error".

This has me wondering what the practical purpose(s) of the two external SATA ports on the RC-212 controller are? Are there external SATA drive enclosures that have a standard SATA (L plug) interface?

In any case, I just removed the SATA drive from the RX-358 enclosure and installed it inside my PC's case and it's now happily running off one of the internal ports on the RC-212 controller.
a c 379 G Storage
November 12, 2010 3:33:04 PM

Rosewill is pretty much a "value" brand. eSATA cables have better shielding that allow them to be longer than internal cables and get less interference from outside sources.

An eSATA port doesn't have an "L" connector. It looks like this.

http://genesisonestudio.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/201...

Also, you do know that the RC-212 controller is a SATA I controller. SATA2 and SATA3 drives may not perform as well on that controller.
November 12, 2010 4:16:13 PM

Quote:
An eSATA port doesn't have an "L" connector. It looks like this.

Thanks. I am aware of the difference between eSATA and SATA cables. I was just hoping that the eSATA-to-SATA ("I" to "L") cable would have worked.
Quote:
Also, you do know that the RC-212 controller is a SATA I controller. SATA2 and SATA3 drives may not perform as well on that controller.

Yes, I am aware of this. The two SATA2 drives (WD Black Caviar) connected to it work very well.

And yes, I also understand that Rosewill is a "value" brand and you get what you pay for. In my case, I needed a PCI disk controller card that supported both SATA and IDE, so this one looked like it was a good match, and once I got it I thought I'd try attaching my eSATA/USB2 external enclosure to it because my PC's USB2 performance is not real good. I know it's time to upgrade my PC but it performs very well and serves my needs, so until I can afford a new one, I am making small and inexpensive tweaks to my hardware to try and maximize performance.
!