Non viewable HD

Keltix

Distinguished
Nov 10, 2010
Hi folks so i have a seagate scis external HD but recently i reformated my pc and reinstaled windows but for got to plug out the External and believe i removed Any windows components so its now not showing up as a letter drive. I can see the External in my computer hardware etc it comes up. any sujjestions ? on how to view the files on the hd ?

Keltix

Distinguished
Nov 10, 2010
Additional Info

1tb Segate Expansion External Drive

EDA SN: 2GHKLCQV (On box it came in)

PN: 9SE2D4-571 (on Box it came in)

PN: 9SF2A4-500 (ON ACTUAL HARD DRIVE CASING)

I have had no issues with this Hard drive what so ever until i reinstalled the OS on my pc with the HD still plugged in.

What could have happened.

1.) i reinstalled windows on my pc Deleting any windows components which could also have deleted the components in my external hd which allows windows to view it as a plug and play device or rather a windows viewable device as i believe the Hard drive needed components to run correctly.

Also i have checked the hard drive on both my computers one with Windows Xp 64 bit. and one with windows xp home edition, the hard drive worked previously on both with no issues what so ever but when i click my computer to view and explore it , it does not appear as a lettered hard drive i can click to enter to view and manage files. How ever it does come up as a drive in My computer => properties=> Hardware=> Device manager= drop down menu => + Seagate Desktop USB Device. so my OS recognizes the External but i still cant see it as a plug n play device in my computer as a lettered.

2.) it is possible i reformatted and deleted any windows components on my HD on re-installation of windows to my pc while my HD was plugged in, But i cant nor do i know how to browse or check if my Hard drive still has any information on it .

My issue is i cant seem to access my Hard drive using my original methods and am not sure if there's any information still left on it.

If you require any more information please let me know, also i would rate my self as a just above mediocre pc user.

festerovic

Distinguished
right click My computer, select Manage... then select Storage, then Disk Management (local).

Now, see if your drive is showing here, if so, click the line the drive is showing on and select "Make Active".

Keltix

Distinguished
Nov 10, 2010
I have done as you asked and i can see under volume (c) partition Status Healthy.
but no other drives except for my dvd rw drive.

I have under that x2 different drives, ill give details as follows and to correspond with both individually.

Disc 0 Basic 372.60 GB Online. (C) 372.60 GB NTFS Healthy (system)

Disc 1 Basic 931.51 GB Online. 931.51 GB Unallocated

Disc 0 is obviously my 500 G on my PC and the 900 Disc 1 is my External.

Disc 0 is partitioned but Disc 1 is not

festerovic

Distinguished
You should remove the device via the Device Manager, and then "Scan for New Hardware" and then let windows add the drivers.

What I see here is a drive that is acting like it is unformatted. The fact that it doesn't work on two different computers, one of which worked previously, and the other with a fresh install, leads me to believe that you need some software from the manufacturer of the drive or the drive really is messed up and needs to be reformatted.

Keltix

Distinguished
Nov 10, 2010
Done the above removed it via device manager and Scanned for new hardware it picked it up again but no change it is as it was before.

I tried the manufacturer at seagate.com but unfortunately i cant seem to find my issue there and also any thing resembling a driver for my particular Drive as i believe it is an older drive.

I am a fairly competent PC user but this issue has me pretty high strung, i would preferably like to get my HD working so i can access my Gigs of information stored there or the other option to completely delete and reformat so it works properly again.

Thanks for your time festerovic it is much appreciated, i hope i can resolve this issue soon, have you by any chance any other suggestions ?