AMD Black Edition overclocking problems

Joeses

Distinguished
Jun 12, 2010
Hello,
I just got myself a Phenom II x4 965 processor. Seemed like a very nice processor and one the would be good for me.

However, after inserting it into my computer I shortly thereafter downloaded the AMD Overdrive program and decided to try a small overclock. I dragged the multiplier from 17X to 17,5X or 18X (don't really remember). After the increase I clicked apply and to my surprise the whole system freezes!

What's causing this?

So I went on to reset my computer and at start it froze a couple times more and I had to reset several times. Eventually it booted well and there were no additional problems that day.

Also, today when I was going to open the amd overdrive program, my system freezes again! And that was only when starting the overdrive program, no overclocking or anything.

Anyone know what's going on?

Joeses

Distinguished
Jun 12, 2010
Motherboard is Gigabyte GA-MA770T-UD3P Socket AM3

Don't know which bios version I have, nor do I know where to find out.

I noticed that my fsb was at 201 by the way, I don't know if that could be causing problems but I pulled it down a step to 200 again, which is the normal FSB value if I'm not completely off.

Didn't seem to be much of help though, since I kept getting the freezes while starting AOD and trying to change clocks.

However, I haven't got any additional freezes while my system is booting.

Joeses

Distinguished
Jun 12, 2010
Hmm, I just loaded optimized defaults and managed to start overdrive without freezing, and the HT ref clock is back at 201. I guess it should stay there. I also managed to get my processor to 3,5GHz! Without freezes!

N.Broekhuijsen

Distinguished
Jun 17, 2009
oh wow 3.5 Ghz....

Sorry but I have that chip and can easily get it to 4.3 ish with a small voltage increase...

What voltage are you running it at?

Have you considered that this one chip is just potentially a BAAAD overclocker?

Joeses

Distinguished
Jun 12, 2010
It's actually at 3,6GHz now and It's seems like my system is still locking up when booting.

Voltage is stock (1.3500V?) and is on auto I belive

If I can get the processor to 3.8GHz~ I'm happy. But I want to get rid of these weird system lockups that basically only happen when booting and using AMD Overdrive.. However it seems like they only freeze sometimes.

N.Broekhuijsen

Distinguished
Jun 17, 2009
try upping the voltage a bit..
First things first though: Is your cooling adequate? what CPU cooler are you using?

These chips can take a lot of voltage, (I've taken mine to 1.55, the max my board can deliver) and it's survived.

If you up the voltage to 1.4 volts you should be able to get a lot further, but MAKE SURE that you have adequate cooling!

If you're using the stock cooler you may not get too far. Also, if you have a C2 chip you won't get as far as if you have a C3 chip. Case airflow also plays a part in how far you can go. I recently had to lower my overclock from 3.8 (summer time 3.7) to 3.6 since I added another 5870, but that's ok because I have 2 5870s ^_^. I'm gonna have to at least do something about the arrangement of my case fans before the summer, so yeah.

Joeses

Distinguished
Jun 12, 2010
I'm using the stock cooler atm, but don't really care much about overclocking right now, just want my system to stop locking up at booting... My old processor (Amd phenom 945) never did that. I don't know what's wrong.

lowjack989

Distinguished
Oct 30, 2009
Lose the whole software OC with AOD.....use the BIOS to OC only....much more stable !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

BTW...AOD is full of bugs...uninstall immediately....The AMD Fusion app works well for gaming as is fairly free from BUGS...mind you the Fusion App just turns all unnecassary background processes off as per your choice of profile..it is not used in the OC process

casualbuilder

Distinguished
Aug 8, 2011
Great answer lowjack. any OC you can achieve on your cpu you can easily achieve through the BIOS. Im running a 555BE at 4.33GHz no probs with a Zalman 9900 cooler. The AOD software could be causing more problems than it is helping. try OC through the BIOS and see what happens. but definately uninstall that AOD.

aqe040466

Distinguished
Nov 29, 2011