User Name added .computer name under My Documents

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.configuration_manage (More info?)

I just had a hard drive crash so reinstalled XP on a new
hard drive (XP Home), then immediately upgraded to XP
Professional (on a Dell Dimension 8200). I don't know if
I answered a question wrong or not, but I now have two
entries (among others) under my documents and settings:
\jlinck
and
\jlinck.jlinckoffice

I can't access \jlinck and all my files and such default
to the \jlinck.jlinckoffice directory. This is a problem
because on two other machines that I regularly use, I
have the \jlinck directory as my key one. This allows me
to run programs and such on each system without needed to
change the code, among other things. Can someone tell me
why this happened and how I can fix it? jlinck is, of
course, an administrator. Thanks,
Jim
4 answers Last reply
More about user added computer documents
  1. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.configuration_manage (More info?)

    Jim wrote:
    > I just had a hard drive crash so reinstalled XP on a new
    > hard drive (XP Home), then immediately upgraded to XP
    > Professional (on a Dell Dimension 8200). I don't know if
    > I answered a question wrong or not, but I now have two
    > entries (among others) under my documents and settings:
    > \jlinck
    > and
    > \jlinck.jlinckoffice
    >
    > I can't access \jlinck and all my files and such default
    > to the \jlinck.jlinckoffice directory. This is a problem
    > because on two other machines that I regularly use, I
    > have the \jlinck directory as my key one. This allows me
    > to run programs and such on each system without needed to
    > change the code, among other things. Can someone tell me
    > why this happened and how I can fix it? jlinck is, of

    It means your profile got recreated, probably because of the upgrade. Not a
    bad thing.

    Do a Google search on "take ownership xp" and find out how to do that..
    Then you can access the files in question. The directory name and your
    logon name can end up being totally different.

    --
    <- Shenan ->
    --
    The information is provided "as is", with no guarantees of
    completeness, accuracy or timeliness, and without warranties of any
    kind, express or implied. In other words, read up before you take any
    advice - you are the one ultimately responsible for your actions.
  2. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.configuration_manage (More info?)

    Thanks. I don't want the directory name and login name
    to be totally different. I want the \jlinck folder to
    become my default folder for everything (and I login as
    jlinck). I assume I won't have trouble dumping the
    \jlinck.jlinckoffice folder and having Windows know that
    I want to use the jlinck folder once I take ownership as
    described.
    Thanks,
    Jim

    >-----Original Message-----
    >Jim wrote:
    >> I just had a hard drive crash so reinstalled XP on a
    new
    >> hard drive (XP Home), then immediately upgraded to XP
    >> Professional (on a Dell Dimension 8200). I don't know
    if
    >> I answered a question wrong or not, but I now have two
    >> entries (among others) under my documents and settings:
    >> \jlinck
    >> and
    >> \jlinck.jlinckoffice
    >>
    >> I can't access \jlinck and all my files and such
    default
    >> to the \jlinck.jlinckoffice directory. This is a
    problem
    >> because on two other machines that I regularly use, I
    >> have the \jlinck directory as my key one. This allows
    me
    >> to run programs and such on each system without needed
    to
    >> change the code, among other things. Can someone tell
    me
    >> why this happened and how I can fix it? jlinck is, of
    >
    >It means your profile got recreated, probably because of
    the upgrade. Not a
    >bad thing.
    >
    >Do a Google search on "take ownership xp" and find out
    how to do that..
    >Then you can access the files in question. The
    directory name and your
    >logon name can end up being totally different.
    >
    >--
    ><- Shenan ->
    >--
    >The information is provided "as is", with no guarantees
    of
    >completeness, accuracy or timeliness, and without
    warranties of any
    >kind, express or implied. In other words, read up
    before you take any
    >advice - you are the one ultimately responsible for your
    actions.
    >
    >
    >.
    >
  3. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.configuration_manage (More info?)

    Jim wrote:
    > Thanks. I don't want the directory name and login name
    > to be totally different. I want the \jlinck folder to
    > become my default folder for everything (and I login as
    > jlinck). I assume I won't have trouble dumping the
    > \jlinck.jlinckoffice folder and having Windows know that
    > I want to use the jlinck folder once I take ownership as
    > described.


    Doesn't work that way. There was a reason it changed to that directory.
    You would have to change a registry entry as well and even then, if there
    was something wrong with the original profile, then it's just going to
    recreate the "new named" directory.

    --
    <- Shenan ->
    --
    The information is provided "as is", with no guarantees of
    completeness, accuracy or timeliness, and without warranties of any
    kind, express or implied. In other words, read up before you take any
    advice - you are the one ultimately responsible for your actions.
  4. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.configuration_manage (More info?)

    "Shenan Stanley" wrote:

    > Jim wrote:
    > > Thanks. I don't want the directory name and login name
    > > to be totally different. I want the \jlinck folder to
    > > become my default folder for everything (and I login as
    > > jlinck). I assume I won't have trouble dumping the
    > > \jlinck.jlinckoffice folder and having Windows know that
    > > I want to use the jlinck folder once I take ownership as
    > > described.
    >
    >
    > Doesn't work that way. There was a reason it changed to that directory.
    > You would have to change a registry entry as well and even then, if there
    > was something wrong with the original profile, then it's just going to
    > recreate the "new named" directory.
    >
    > --
    > <- Shenan ->
    > --
    > The information is provided "as is", with no guarantees of
    > completeness, accuracy or timeliness, and without warranties of any
    > kind, express or implied. In other words, read up before you take any
    > advice - you are the one ultimately responsible for your actions.
    >
    >
    >
    I have the same problem. I cloned my old drive to a new drive, then re-installed WinXP Pro. [The old profiles (without the domain suffix) still work on the old drive, when I boot it.] It seems as if XP thinks I'm in a Domain, when I'm actually in a workgroup. I even deleted the userid and re-created it (and others) and XP uses only the profiles with the Domain suffix. I've re-run the Nwteork Connection Wizard several times specifying I'm NOT in a Domain, but I keep getting the same results. I note that there are also files labeled LOCAL SERVICE.NT AUTHORITY and NETWORK SERVICE.NT AUTHORITY as well as files without the "NT AUTHORITY" extension. Does that help clarify what's happening?
    Any suggestions???
Ask a new question

Read More

Configuration My Documents Windows XP