Sign in with
Your question

Hard Drive Bad?

Last response: in Storage
November 10, 2010 11:49:33 PM

I've been having trouble lately. the other day my computer was working fine but then i shut it off, came back an hour later and it started giving me a blue screen half way through the windows loading screen. I could get into safe mode but shortly after the blue screen would pop up and crash. I tried to do a repair installation but some files couldn't copy and it would fail. so now I'm trying to do a fresh install, I delete the old partition, reformat it as NTFS(the only options are that or NTFS quick) and the installation of XP x64 starts but several files wont install the off the disk

mshtml.ddl
msvidctl.dll
ntbackup.exe
oembios.bin
query.dll
streamci.dll
tourW.exe
tsbyuv.dll
wshbth.dll
mouhid.sys
hccoin.dll
mouclass.sys

2nd try

mshtml.dll
mf.sys
mmc.exe
mmcndmgr.dll
mssmbios.sys
msyuv.dll
oembios.bin

with the exception of mshtml.dll it seems to be different each time(i tried more than twice. but almost every time i get a blue screen, the last time (and i think the times before) i got this error

stop: 0x00000024 (0x000000000019033D, 0xFFFFFADF29C934D0, 0XFFFFFADF28C95DC1)
ntfs.sys - adress FFFFFADF28C95DC1 base at FFFFFADF28C8B000, datestamp 45d699ef

I looked up the error and it says that the error is caused by corrupted or missing ntfs.sys file

since this is happening during install does that mean that my HD is bad or is my windows disk bad(official copy, not pirated btw) or does anyone have any other ideas as to the cause?

Thanks

More about : hard drive bad

a b G Storage
November 11, 2010 5:58:30 AM

Check you BIOS if the drives are detected correctly - HDD and DVD drives (when you near your computer do you hear shearing sounds? and also check the data cables). Get another DVD or CD drive and install it on your system then install windows on it. When installing the files that you mentioned above, it should copied find into your hard disk (Does the optical drive pause for a long time?). I guess it is your optical drive, Just try it.
m
l
Related resources
November 12, 2010 1:07:50 AM

Yes it is the original MS Disk for windows XP Pro x64

***And the most important note is that this is not happening in windows but when I try and install Windows

also quick update Ive tried and failed on 3 different dvd drives, but I don't have a cd drive do you think that would make a difference?

I also tried another Hard Drive and got the same error, but had no files that couldn't copy(some didn't at first but worked after a retry) so...
A) Is there a way to get a different XP disc or copy that disk

B)Could my ram cause this?

thanks again
m
l
November 12, 2010 4:34:58 AM

UPDATE

I used an old copy of windows XP(32bit not 64) and got it to install on my computer. then after the reboot it crashed in the finalization so I'm thinking that it might be a bad windows disc or bad RAM, anyone know of somewhere i can get a new XPx64 disc, I've already got the codes from my original disc, i just need a new disc to check.
m
l
November 12, 2010 5:17:21 AM

Problem solved :bounce:  :pt1cable: 

did memtest86 and turned out to be a bad stick :fou: 

thanks for the help guys
m
l
!