Sign in with
Your question
Closed

Replace CPU without reinstalling OS?

Tags:
Last response: in CPUs
July 13, 2009 3:25:08 PM

I was looking at the new phenom IIs coming out and i might be tempted to get the 965 when it comes out.

Obviously the question is in the title so I was just wondering since I looked around but didn't find a definite answer, and a lot of the posts were from 2005-7 so maybe things have changed a bit.

Can I replace my X3 720 with a X4 965 without reinstalling the operating system? I'm using Windows 7 if that will make a difference.
a b à CPUs
July 13, 2009 3:31:14 PM

That CPU upgrade shouldn't pose a problem. The main time you'll need to reinstall Windows due to a hardware upgrade wil be a chipset change.
Score
a b à CPUs
July 13, 2009 4:48:33 PM

Seriously, do you NEED to upgrade? You've probably got the X3 for 5 months max, and you want to spend another $250 for what?
Of course, it's your money and you cand do whatever you want with it, but wouldn't you prefer to get a better graphics card, or monitor, or something else?
Score
Related resources
July 13, 2009 6:35:24 PM

I probably won't end up going with the 965, I just want to know if i can replace my X3 720 with a newer one when they come out for mild performance boost.

If I were to upgrade my graphics card that would end up costing at least $750, because I have to get another GTX 295 and 1000w+ PSU.
I already have a 24'' monitor, don't need any more ram...
Score
November 9, 2009 11:12:23 PM

mi1ez said:
That CPU upgrade shouldn't pose a problem. The main time you'll need to reinstall Windows due to a hardware upgrade wil be a chipset change.

Is this confirmed? I'm using Win7 right now and am contemplating moving from a dual core to quad core.
Score
November 10, 2009 11:44:46 AM

Haha, wow...I was just contemplating upgrading to the revised 965 yesterday!! Weird that you brought this thread back up.

I did read that it can be done without any hiccups in the OS, although if something does go wrong you can always just put the old processor back in and do a clean install of the OS.
Score

Best solution

a b à CPUs
November 10, 2009 11:49:52 AM

No need to reinstall windows for a new cpu.

Worst case senario if you add or change too many components windows might ask to reactivate, if that doesnt work by internet just call them on the phone and go through the automatic blablabla listing the numbers on the screen... works almost every time.

Motherboard changes is what forces anyone to reinstall... even at that I gotten away with not reinstalling windows switching motherboards thanks to similar nvidia chipsets...

If you have the spare cash and you want extra performance, I would recommend a high quality CPU Fan such as an Artic Cooler Freezer 64 pro and overclock that Phenom720 ;) 

If you burn it as a worst case senario, you can get your new cpu and still have a kickass fan that will keep the cpu in the 30Degrees at stock speeds.
!