Motherboard installation

hhdawrs

Distinguished
Sep 25, 2009
The BIOSTAR TF520 A2+ motherboard in my built desktop XP Home SP3 system needs to be replaced.

Is it technically difficult to replace it with a modern board with Vista without losing my present XP Home SP3 settings? I have legitimate XP disks.

My hardware is good, I like my present system, and want to avoid added costs.

My tech ability is marginal at best. I want to just locate the discontinued board and do just a mechanical replace, but availability is not looking good.

Thanks-Herb

Solution
I don't understand your question completely... but if you replace your motherboard, your computer should start up properly. Aside from installing the drivers for your motherboard, you may have to reinstall the drivers for your other devices as well.

r_manic

Administrator
I don't understand your question completely... but if you replace your motherboard, your computer should start up properly. Aside from installing the drivers for your motherboard, you may have to reinstall the drivers for your other devices as well.

Solution

hhdawrs

Distinguished
Sep 25, 2009
I rambled, sorry.

I may have to replace my XP board with one that comes with Vista.

I'm concerned with Vista non-compatibility with programs such as IBM Lotus SmartSuite.

Will I be able to re-install XP after installing a Vista board without losing data on my existing hard drive?