Sign in with
Your question

Graphics problems / crashing in games

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
April 30, 2009 10:00:23 AM

Hi all

I have some very strange system problems that has been driving me nuts for the past month or so, can any one help?

At first I updated everything but my gfx card and my PSU and at times my games where crashing all over place some times 10 mins some 1hr in.
now since then i have got a new psu but have the same GFX card. which helped a small bit,

i have tried to benchmark the PC loads and it never crashed no matter how high I pump up the res or the graphics settings.

also I have to set memory times my self as i have been told that my memory needs it. and the Bios was not setting my timings right,

memory setting below
5-5-5-18
volts 2.1
DRAM freq 1066

Am I missing some settings?

after the i set the mem stuff my self i was and oddly able to run crysis for 4hrs non stop with no crashing.

Also i get the NV something or other crash message, even tho i have the right drivers installed. I had the GFx card RMA and they XFX said it was perfectly fine. and i get a blue screen with a memory dump message.

well here is my system spec

Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 2.4GHz
Asus P5Q, P45, Socket-775
OCZ DDR2 PC8500 4096MB KIT, Reaper HPC,
XFX 8800 GTS Fatal1ty
Samsung SpinPoint S166 160GB SATA2
Samsung Sata DVDRW x 20
Corsair Powersupply 620W Black, ATX/EPS,
Samsung 20" Wide Syncmaster T200HD,
Vista Ultimate x64

thanks for any help
a b U Graphics card
April 30, 2009 1:02:01 PM

1. Use drivercleaner and uninstall the GFX completely (and any other display drivers while you are at it)
2. Download new drivers from nVidia
3. Install said drivers
4. Download Rivatuner, and install it
5. Make a rule in rivatuner to set fan speed of the GFX card to 65%+ while playing games
April 30, 2009 1:07:29 PM

IH8U said:
1. Use drivercleaner and uninstall the GFX completely (and any other display drivers while you are at it)
2. Download new drivers from nVidia
3. Install said drivers
4. Download Rivatuner, and install it
5. Make a rule in rivatuner to set fan speed of the GFX card to 65%+ while playing games

thanks for the info. I'll try this later when i get home , i did try the first few steps before but not the rivatuner.
Related resources
a c 176 U Graphics card
April 30, 2009 1:17:38 PM

Those were good ideas.
Also test your RAM. If it is bad, replace it with DDR2-800 that will run at its advertised timings on the JEDEC standard 1.8v.
April 30, 2009 1:20:04 PM

Onus said:
Those were good ideas.
Also test your RAM. If it is bad, replace it with DDR2-800 that will run at its advertised timings on the JEDEC standard 1.8v.

i have run memtest loads and it always passes the tests so i dont think it a RAM problem. plus i don't have the cash to get more ram :<
!