Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Change file type RAW to NTFS

Last response: in Storage
Anonymous
a b G Storage
November 11, 2010 4:05:47 AM

Hello, how to change RAW file type to NTFS .
my hard disk has changed the type to RAW and now it show the cd drive icon and there is no option for format.

Best solution

November 11, 2010 4:41:44 AM

oops, your hard disk drive master boot sector might got damaged. There are many related raw drive problems and you may encounter such errors reported by windows

chkdsk is not available for raw drive
drive is not formatted, do you want to format it now (raw is not regular file system type - usually fat32, ntfs, ntfs5)

so far as i know there is no tool which could change your raw back to ntfs but you can restore files from the raw disk.
a b G Storage
November 11, 2010 5:12:12 AM

There are two places where we store file system information: the MBR partition Table and Volumes boot sector, When the file system information provided on these 2 sectors of disk is not good you may see chkdsk reporting raw file system (though the data is still there).

Ok try this one mount the drive as a slave inside the computer and see if you can repair the partition table:

Download the Windows version of TestDisk. http://www.cgsecurity.org/wiki/TestDisk
Unzip the downloaded file to your C: drive and open C:\testdisk-6.8\win > double click " testdisk_win" (the program doesn't have to installed).

A. At the first window select “No Log” and press the <Enter> key.
B. Select what drive to analyse, choose “Proceed” and <Enter>.
C. Select partition type – Intel if it’s a PC.
D. Select “Analyse” then <Enter>. The drive/partition will be analysed.
E. Select “Proceed” at the next screen, then <Enter>.
F. Press “Y” if the partitions were created under Vista – “N” if not.
G. TestDisk should say “Structure OK”. Choose the drive/partition to fix. Then press <Enter>.
H. Select “Write” and press <Enter>.
I. Press “Y”.
J. Press <Enter> and close TestDisk. Reboot the computer.
m
l
Related resources
September 10, 2011 11:40:56 PM

TestDisk is used on DOS command, which is not easy for non tech or computer starters to use.
m
l
December 7, 2012 4:21:47 AM

techeasy said:
oops, your hard disk drive master boot sector might got damaged. There are many related raw drive problems and you may encounter such errors reported by windows

chkdsk is not available for raw drive
drive is not formatted, do you want to format it now (raw is not regular file system type - usually fat32, ntfs, ntfs5)

so far as i know there is no tool which could change your raw back to ntfs but you can restore files from the raw disk.

resource that may help you http://www.rawfilesystem.com

Thanks, I just got my photos back off raw memory card that I use on my cannon. Great freeware and thank you for your info.
m
l
March 13, 2013 6:07:15 PM

use photorec windows version and/or testdisc windows version as an earlier link stated, these will repair if possible raw to whatever format is needed amongst the myriads available within these 2 two apps cheers to dev. of these!!! reboot to take effect after exiting these apps with quit command awesome encoding dev...!!!... fantabulous, and if drive is inoperable still ? then rma the drive my magnum xporter 64gb usb pendrive has a 5 year unconditional money back guarantee its been newly replaced once in 3 years is yours guaranteed? if tits not tits time to ga-det-one-dat-is!!!? njoy ur pc multimedia XPerience!

YES INDEED LADIES AND JEWS AND GENTILS MY DRIVE IS NTFS AND WORKS AGAIN I CANNOT THANK THE ABOVE DEV OF THOSE TWO FINE APPS ENOUGH!!! NO RMA NEEDED CHEEEEEEEEEEEEERzZz iam shocked and amazed thank god & thank fine devs!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! so cool -=8^)~~~~~ +- A+++ GRADE AAA+++ software dev and i mean that soulfully too

as for my sandisk 8gb pendrive well uh the chip circuitry must be fried i plug it in and get notta thing ... and guess what its not guaranteed, so short of buying an eprom its junk now...
m
l
May 9, 2014 4:25:09 PM

Wow, I have to thank you so much.
I tried for some time to get my drive to work all to no avail.
Then you come along like an angel and help me fix it with detailed instruction.
You're awesome, I made an account just to tell you this, dude.
:) 
Have a great day!
m
l
July 9, 2014 2:13:07 AM

Thank you so much dEAne's , you are a power user in the truest sense. Worked perfectly.
m
l
July 24, 2014 3:57:28 AM

I also has same problem.
I just got some less inof in some other blogs and wrote a new MBR code in boot sector instead of scanning.
now its not working
and now windows repair also cant repair it.
Will testdisk recongnise that the new MBR code written was also a part of earlier raw partition that just got shifted or resized cause i wrote a new mbr
:( 

Please msg me. I am not a regular user of Tom's hardware.
EMAIL REDACTED - SS
m
l
!