damaged font?

May 27, 2004 6:47:53 PM

I have a personal handwriting font which I've been using for over a year on
my windows xp notebook. When I try to load it on my desktop, however, it is
rejected, saying it may be damaged? I really want to use this font.

Any suggestions?

Thanks.

More about : damaged font

Anonymous
May 27, 2004 6:47:54 PM

On Thu, 27 May 2004 14:47:53 GMT, Don wrote:

> I have a personal handwriting font which I've been using for over a year on
> my windows xp notebook. When I try to load it on my desktop, however, it is
> rejected, saying it may be damaged? I really want to use this font.
>
> Any suggestions?
>
> Thanks.

I ran into this with several of my free fonts that were homemade by various
authors. They were never true complete fonts to begin with. Not all fonts
are "up to snuff" when measured against industry standards. You could check
with the author for a more complete version of the file that will work with
XP.

While researching that possibility, you might be able to continue using the
font without installing it. Double click the font file so that it is open
in the font viewer window. Leave that window up. Then open the program you
want to use the font in. As long as the font viewer window is open, most
Windows programs will show the font in the font drop down list, allow you
to select the font and and allow you to use it.

This trick works best with graphics programs where the text input is
ultimately captured as part of the image. Opening a saved word document,
for example, is going to display the contents using the current default
font - one that is installed.

--
Sharon F
MS-MVP ~ Windows XP Shell/User

Thank you.

When I try to open it as you suggested, my desktop (new computer) refuses,
saying it is not a valid font file. This is odd because my notebook (also
running xp home) has no problem with this font.

> On Thu, 27 May 2004 14:47:53 GMT, Don wrote:
>
> > I have a personal handwriting font which I've been using for over a year
on
> > my windows xp notebook. When I try to load it on my desktop, however, it
is
> > rejected, saying it may be damaged? I really want to use this font.
> >
> > Any suggestions?
> >
> > Thanks.
>
> I ran into this with several of my free fonts that were homemade by
various
> authors. They were never true complete fonts to begin with. Not all fonts
> are "up to snuff" when measured against industry standards. You could
check
> with the author for a more complete version of the file that will work
with
> XP.
>
> While researching that possibility, you might be able to continue using
the
> font without installing it. Double click the font file so that it is open
> in the font viewer window. Leave that window up. Then open the program you
> want to use the font in. As long as the font viewer window is open, most
> Windows programs will show the font in the font drop down list, allow you
> to select the font and and allow you to use it.
>
> This trick works best with graphics programs where the text input is
> ultimately captured as part of the image. Opening a saved word document,
> for example, is going to display the contents using the current default
> font - one that is installed.
>
> --
> Sharon F
> MS-MVP ~ Windows XP Shell/User
May 28, 2004 12:24:24 AM

good copy or version of it.
>.

Anonymous
May 28, 2004 3:27:02 AM

On Thu, 27 May 2004 19:41:31 GMT, Don wrote:

> Thank you.
>
> When I try to open it as you suggested, my desktop (new computer) refuses,
> saying it is not a valid font file. This is odd because my notebook (also
> running xp home) has no problem with this font.

Don, try to figure out what is different about the font on the laptop
compared to the desktop. For example: Was the font installed by a program?
Is that program installed on the computer where the font works but not
installed on the computer where it fails?

May just want to try a fresh copy on the desktop in case that one got
damaged when it was transferred.

--
Sharon F
MS-MVP ~ Windows XP Shell/User

It's my own handwriting font, so there is not another like it anywhere.
Thank God!

> [...]
May 30, 2004 5:40:41 AM

I got my font updated at alt.binaries.fonts. It is working now.

"Don" <anybody@anywhere.usa> wrote in message
> I have a personal handwriting font which I've been using for over a year
on
> my windows xp notebook. When I try to load it on my desktop, however, it
is
> rejected, saying it may be damaged? I really want to use this font.
>
> Any suggestions?
>
> Thanks.

Anonymous
May 30, 2004 10:49:27 AM

On Sun, 30 May 2004 01:40:41 GMT, Don wrote:

> I got my font updated at alt.binaries.fonts. It is working now.

Very glad to hear that, Don. Thanks for letting us know.

--
Sharon F
MS-MVP ~ Windows XP Shell/User