Sign in with
Your question

Why TH's Killer K1 review left me empty inside

Last response: in Components

Should Tom\'s Hardware add to or remake the review?

Total: 10 votes

• Yes, include more practical data.
  • 70 %
  • No, the first review was satisfactory.
  • 30 %
July 13, 2009 7:00:50 PM

I felt pretty dumb after reading that review. There was quite a lack of expected graphs. The test was simply downloading an ISO through Firefox while playing TF2 or WoW. Obviously, no one consistently does that. Pretty pointless. I'm sure many of us want a real review with real data. I propose a new review adding the following:

1. Use the System Builder Marathon PCs and OCs ($600, $1200, $2400).

2. Compare the Killer M1, Killer K1, Intel EXPI9301CTBLK, and Integrated NICs.

3. Include BitTorrent. Leeching and Seeding torrents for Ubuntu and OpenOffice. Include number of connections and Kb/s in data.

4. Test the performance gain in using a 2nd hard drive just for file transfers.

5. Test a network rendering program (I don't know any).

6. Include a Real Time Strategy to the test. I suggest Supreme Commander.
July 14, 2009 6:11:42 AM

oh i thought, before reading your post, you were feeling empty inside because you bought one... but that would be more like your wallet
Related resources
July 14, 2009 6:23:49 AM

I don't want another review because I only read the conclusion of the first one. I'd be 9000 times happier reading up on some hardware that mattered.
July 14, 2009 6:55:59 AM

^agreed^
July 14, 2009 7:06:40 AM

frozenlead said:
I don't want another review because I only read the conclusion of the first one. I'd be 9000 times happier reading up on some hardware that mattered.

Good point.
July 14, 2009 6:00:06 PM

If it ain't broke, don't fix it... so I guess someone needs to explain what exactly is broken about current network interface cards.
!