Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

GTX 275 896mb or 1792mb? at Crysis 4xAA, Enthusiast/Very High

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
Share
April 30, 2009 2:30:18 PM

I heard that traditionally the extra GDDR3 ram from the GTX 275 1792mb is only a marketing ploy and does really nothing to improve performance from the GTX 275 896mb version. But I also heard that

-the extra GDDR3 vram will improve FPS in Shader intensive games like Crysis.
-the extra GDDR3 vram will improve FPS at higher resolutions

is this true?

additionally this is what I will be playing Crysis/Crysis Warhead at.

-Very High/Enthusiast
-4xAA
-1920x1200 or 1600x1050

so which one should I get, even the smallest improvment in FPS (+2, -2 FPS) in Crysis matters to me.

-thanks!
April 30, 2009 3:03:50 PM

Good luck at that, since GTX285 SLI and Crossfire 4890 are the only ones that seem to have somewhat playable FPS rate, at maxed out settings with 4xAA and 16Aniso

Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
April 30, 2009 7:01:31 PM

Euphoria_MK said:
Good luck at that, since GTX285 SLI and Crossfire 4890 are the only ones that seem to have somewhat playable FPS rate, at maxed out settings with 4xAA and 16Aniso

http://www.xbitlabs.com/images/video/gtx285sli-hd4890cf/crysiswh.png


I think around 26-27 FPS in Crysis is playable for me. So yea, at these settings, should I get the 1792mb or 896mb version?

additionally are there any reviews on the GTX 275 "1792mb" out yet?
April 30, 2009 7:14:29 PM

Sure you will need to purchase 2 Nvidia GTX285 and run them in SLI, in order to play at everything maxed on Crysis.

With GTX275, I would go with the 1792MB but you will need to run Crysis at no more than 2xAA but probably no AA, and then play with the Aniso setting to see which one will give you playable frame rates, maybe 8xAniso....

a c 106 U Graphics card
April 30, 2009 7:49:08 PM

Well, the 1792MB will really only provide a small benefit right now. Only a few games at very high settings show an advantage with more than 896MB of RAM which is the few cases where the 285 pulls ahead of the 275. Check the reviews to see which crysis settings help the 285 pull ahead of the 275 since that's mostly due to it's slightly higher 1GB of RAM.
April 30, 2009 9:01:46 PM

ahhh...thanks guys, so the extra ram does help a little bit in some games.


Additionally with the 1792mb version, will have the same heat as the normal version? and the OC potential will be the same?
May 1, 2009 12:36:07 AM

Im also wondering what i should get 275 (1792MB) or the 285 1GB.

The question is what is more important for long term survival of the card, the extra RAM or the slightly faster graphics? In my personal experiance VRAM limit is usually reached first, my 980GTX+ couldnt really run GTA4 because it didnt have enough vram....so that leads me to belive saving $50 with the GTX275 and getting double the RAM is worth it
May 1, 2009 4:48:36 AM

GTS-R said:
Im also wondering what i should get 275 (1792MB) or the 285 1GB.

The question is what is more important for long term survival of the card, the extra RAM or the slightly faster graphics? In my personal experiance VRAM limit is usually reached first, my 980GTX+ couldnt really run GTA4 because it didnt have enough vram....so that leads me to belive saving $50 with the GTX275 and getting double the RAM is worth it


according to numerous benchmarks, the GTX 275 896mb version has slightly less performance than the GTX 285 and most of the time has better performance than the GTX 280. So with the additional amount of vram, in higher resolution and shader intensive games with AA, the performance should be very very close or equal to the GTX 285's.
May 1, 2009 2:32:08 PM

Go with the cheaper one. If you can get the 1792 @ the same price, then sure, if it's from a nice brand, but there really is no point unless you're on an insanely high resolution.
GTX 275 beats GTX 280 even though GTX 280has 116mbs of more video ram.
What brands/ prices are you looking at?
May 3, 2009 1:23:21 AM

not just at higher resolutions but with higher resolution textures settings and high AA settings.
May 3, 2009 4:57:44 PM

I get 27FPS average with 1920x1200 on Very High with 8xQ AA, using a Phenom II x4 940 @ 3.6GHZ, 4GB 1066, and a pair of 896MB GTX 275s in SLI.
May 17, 2009 2:02:46 AM

Everybody should forget about Crysis seeing how no cards THIS or NEXT generation will be able to run 60+ fps on Enthusiast.
a c 235 U Graphics card
May 17, 2009 4:45:15 AM

dingumf said:
Everybody should forget about Crysis seeing how no cards THIS or NEXT generation will be able to run 60+ fps on Enthusiast.



my old ATI 1300pro can........plus it makes waffles....... :D 
!