After much guidance from this forum and my bank statement I have concluded that the i7 system I coveted is beyond my means . This has forced me to look at other avenues and the AMD 720BE keeps coming up as the alternative here and on other sites. OverclockersUK have this system on a THIS WEEK ONLY at £667 and it has the decent graphics card (1GB 4870) and they have done the overclocking already (I would be v. hesitant to do this without warranty). Could somebody look over the the following an pass comment or provide alternatives?
**This system ships pre-overclocked and tested at 3.3GHz - Prime Stable** We do the hard work, you just enjoy the blistering performance....
- AMD Phenom II X3 Tri Core 720 2.8GHz @ 3.3GHz (Socket AM3) - Retail
- Gigabyte GA-MA790XT-UD4P (Socket AM3) PCI-Express DDR3 Motherboard
- Corsair 4GB DDR3 10666C9 1333MHz XMS3 TwinX Dual Channel Kit (2x2GB) (TW3X4G1333C9)
- ATI Radeon HD 4870 1024MB GDDR5 TV-Out/Dual DVI/HDMI (PCI-Express)
- Seagate Barracuda 7200.12 500GB SATA-II 16MB Cache - OEM (ST3500418AS)
- Samsung SH-S223F/BEBE 22x DVD±RW SATA Dual Layer ReWriter (Black)
- OCZ StealthXStream 500w Silent ATX2 Power Supply
- Gelid Silent Spirit CPU Cooler CPU Cooler
- Coolermaster Elite 335 Case - Black
- Arctic Silver 5 Thermal Compound professionally hand installed by our technicians
- 1yr Onsite Collect & Return Warranty
I am consoling myself (rightly or wrongly) with such statements as:
- I am limited to XP so 4MB RAM plenty
- on my 19" 1280x1024 monitor the i7 and 720BE won't be that different
- AMD will produce new mega CPU's for the AM3 and so upgrading route is there
- it is a DDR3 system so again upgradable...
many thanks, Jon A
(ps sorry if this shouldn't be in Homebuilt forum, but HB is my alternative still)