Asrock extrme bios locking up and resetting! HELP!

pandaboy99

Distinguished
Sep 11, 2009
Hey guys, I'm a fairly newbie system builder, but have a fairly good grasp on the basics. I recently picked up the following parts for a build:

asrock x58 extreme mobo
intel i7 920 (2.66) (LGA1366)
Radeon x800
3x OCZ 3GB DDR3 1066 RAM(240pin, PC3-1600)
Corsair PSU 750W
Caviar green 2 tb SATA HD
Sony optiarc DVD/CD SATA drive

The build went off pretty smoothly, or so I thought. got everything hooked into my new case, first time I've ever mounted my own MB, usually get a barebones system to start with; The only thing I noticed was strange during the build itself was the North Bridge has two black pins on springs that hold it down, and one seems to have broken off during shipping. I found it in the box and returned it to its place.

Boot it all up for the first time, bios shows up just fine, I hit F2 to boot into bios, don't see any problems, all the hardware it shows looks appropriate. Save the settings and restart, booting to my windows disk. About 2-4min into the install it restarts several times in decreasing intervals. I spend a little while discouraged about this. During this time, if it gets all the way to windows install, the error on the Debug when it crashes is "68"

It crashes after a min or two even in I just sit in bios, Debug saying "68" (which is the "bios executed" display)

::EDIT::

Also, occasionally when it crashes(read: freezes for about 30-90sec, then reboots) it throws the "68" error to the debug

i know its not the RAM because i tested each individually? so can anyone help!? thanks!

rand_79

Distinguished
Apr 10, 2009
are you running it at stock settings or OC/putting the ram to 1600 etc?

try reload bios defaults

there are a multiple of things it could be you need to start working on narrowing it down. Nothing stands out from what you said.
Most problems are the "duh" user error kind but I've gotten 3 doa motherboards in a row once.. (different brands and problems)

Rand

pandaboy99

Distinguished
Sep 11, 2009

thanks for the replies guys. im using an old gpu from an old comp while i wait for my new 5870. I dont think its the Harddrive either because i tried taking out everything except for one stick of ram. everything is at stock settings, so it looks like its either a overheating mobo or cpu because everything posts it just starts to reset after about a minute or so. any other ideas?

pandaboy99

Distinguished
Sep 11, 2009

ram is stock settings although the board doesnt show it was 1600

borjame23

Distinguished
Sep 28, 2009

I have the exact same issue today. Did you ever figure the problem out?

I've checked all three RAM in each slot, the only things I have hooked up are the graphics cards (a GeForce 8400), the PSU (Antec 1000W), and the DVD. I've checked the system with an older PSU (Rosewill 450W) and have the same issue.

It doesn't matter what I do: go into the BIOS and sit or begin a Windows 7 install, the computer will freeze up after 3-4min, then go into a series of never ending reboots.