Virtualization technology

p75

Distinguished
Feb 15, 2009
Just a quick question. Will all future intel processors have virtualization technology?

I ask because, some intel processors don't have it and that means you can't use XP mode, on windows 7.

So far all Core i7 CPUs have it. And the only Core 2s that don't are normally the really low end or the Pentium Dual Core ones.

Either way if you do need XP support on your rig its best to always find the CPU that has what you need.

Upendra09

Distinguished
I wanted VT but i am on a budget and the only C2Ds that support it are the 8xxx, i was looking at a combo of a case and the E7400 on newegg but it doesn't support VT so it kinda sucks for me.

All my systems do, including my laptop because i need it. On the other hand, my kids don't use VMware or Hyper-V, therefore they don't necessarily need a CPU with VT.

The link that you provided isn't totally accurate. Q8400 and Q8400S have VT and so does the E7600, but only the SLGW3 E7400 does. You should rely on info at Intel as it's more accurate.

On the other hand, I believe that all AMD Phenom CPUs support VT.

dragonsprayer

Splendid
Jan 3, 2007

its been around for many many years

microsoft had several versions - parallels
then there is the overpriced over hyped vm ware

i loved watching that stock tank - who guess!

dragonsprayer

Splendid
Jan 3, 2007

low end chips do not have it

go to an older cpu and you get it cheap

lets say you have a core 2 with out it - buyer an older core 2 and you find most have it - make sure search by model number since intel recycles names