Memory Problems

relics

Distinguished
Sep 26, 2009
My motherboard is Asus M2N-MX SE PLUS

I have recently upgraded to a 64 bit OS. At the time I purchased the MB I also bought a Corsair XMS2 DDR2 4 GB (2x2). For a while, I've only used one of the two as my 32 bit OS couldn't really work with four.

But now when I've put the other stick in, my OS will not boot. It will continually restart right before I can reach the page to enter my password.

I've upgraded the BIOS to the latest version - 0602.

I've switched out each of the modules, and they both work, but never together.

I've tried switching from Unganged to Ganged.

I've tried resetting the CMOS.

It's been really frustrating getting this to work. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Mongox

Distinguished
Aug 19, 2009
Look over this thread, has some things to try:
http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/263287-30-bios-windows-recognizes-half-memory

You mention your other OS couldn't work with 4 - but that shouldn't be true. It might not recognize but 3GBs or so, but it should have worked. If it didn't, your other stick may be bad.

Check the DRAM voltage.
Make sure you're using the proper slots - only motherboard manual can tell you the correct ones, but usually it's the two with the same color - not necessarily two next to each other.

Oh and try the RAM in the other pair of slots.

relics

Distinguished
Sep 26, 2009
Thanks for the reply.

to clarify, my other OS would work, but I only used one of the two because of the issues with 32 bit. Both sticks are good as they can be used independently but never together.

The voltage on the sticks say 1.80v, but the lowest my BIOS can set to is 1.90v, so I leave that on auto. I've also tried all the slots with both of the sticks to no avail.

The system recognizes the 4 gigs but it just won't boot the OS when I turn it on,