E5200 / P35-DS3L won't overclock anymore

RussianCarl

Distinguished
Jun 19, 2008
About a year ago I encountered some system stability issues and changed everything back to standard settings. I am not sure what caused this as I never overclocked anywhere near the extreme end... perhaps it was me tripping over a power cord that caused a power spike?

Anyway, my computer has been sluggish watching blu ray's and playing games so I went back to try and play with the settings. I can't get it to hold even the smallest overclock it always reverts back to default. I actually thought I had it ok but when I checked CPUZ it showed that instead of OC the cpu I underclocked the RAM.

So what gives - is my CPU/Mobo fried? Could it be a bad battery and need to refresh CMOS? Not really sure how to proceed.

I started fiddling with it as I was going to upgrade to a Q6600 or something so that my blu-rays would play better but really, whats the point if the mobo is broken and wont OC anymore?

Thanks thanks thanks.

You ought to be able to get that combination up to at least 3.5 GHz unless you get a lemon of a CPU.

This should be your first stop.
Core2 Overclocking Guide
http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/forum/259899-11-core-overclocking-guide

Shadow's Gigabyte motherboard OC guide:
http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/forum/page-245679_11_0.html
It's for an EP35-DS3L .

Go through the guides. Then take your core voltage off Auto and set your memory voltage to factory recommended values. Change the System Memory Multiplier from AUTO to 2.00. Then when you increase the FSB, the memory clock will rise in in proportion with it. At an FSB freq of 200 MHz, your memory clock should be at 400 MHz.

I doubt you underclocked your ram on accident, I think maybe you just are interpreting the settings wrong.

Likely its a simple bios setting your overlooking that is the reason you cant overclock anymore.

The number one thing that comes to mind is your likely OVERclocking the ram too high without even knowing it and that's causing your overclock to fail.

RussianCarl

Distinguished
Jun 19, 2008
Ok, I feel like an idiot.

CPUZ was giving bad readings lol. Speedfan and Windows System show a stable overclock.

Kinda strange though how I have it more OC'd than before and yet no BSOD's. Maybe I had some voltage settings messed up before.

tyty