How to limit printing in network

salar512

Distinguished
Sep 10, 2011
Hello,
hello
i have netwrok and have lots of users
users can send print documnets to print server
I want to see all user sent document and pause all of them untill I myself select to print each of them

Hello Hello back at you :)

This is not as easy as it may seem. The data en-route to the printer is not exactly human-readable. It has embedded formatting commands, font information, graphics, and in the case of a post-script printer- very little can be deciphered from the enormous amount of data going to the printer.

If you insist, then make the printer only directly available to your computer make it a "shared" printer and keep it "offline" until you put it "online." You must have the print spooler service running or the other users will get an error message, or their machines will lock-up waiting for a response from the printer. You must have file and printer sharing enabled. Map the printer on the other computers to your computer to access "your" printer, so it is no longer seen as a network printer by the other computers. If it is a network printer, your computer can still see it as that, but the others will only see "your" printer, from your machine.

This process is going to be a hassle to say the least. A strongly worded policy on what is acceptable to be printed is far less bother than the nightmare you are attempting.

Why on earth would anyone want to do this? How do you know what anyone is printing, or when they need to get it? You have someone printing out something for a meeting they are leaving for now and you want to hold it till you can print it? Why would you want to sit there watching a print server and do it's job? How to monitor print-outs varies from system to system, what server OS are you using? And are you using a 3rd party print manager or the default Windows one?

You can setup a ton of print options, who can print when, to what printer, what print-outs have priority, etc... without watching every print job to though.

Wat the poster above said is an option, just have everyone email you the documents, then you print it for them. Will be the same amount of work as what you were planning.

Mu33rto

Distinguished
Sep 6, 2011
Or remove the network printer all together.. Have them print to a default pdf printer witch stores the pdf on a network share where you can only access it. Then you can print it for them...