objects

I know this has probably been covered a zillion times but...I played the
SIMS a few years ago and then got rid of them. Now I went back and
bought SIMS Deluxe. I have downloaded some objects online (couches,
walls, etc) and I have put them in my Game Data folder. They are not
showing up on the game. What am I doing wrong??? Thanks a bunch!!!

Sharon
3 answers Last reply
More about objects

    > I know this has probably been covered a zillion times but...I played the
    > SIMS a few years ago and then got rid of them. Now I went back and
    > bought SIMS Deluxe. I have downloaded some objects online (couches,
    > walls, etc) and I have put them in my Game Data folder. They are not
    > showing up on the game. What am I doing wrong??? Thanks a bunch!!!
    >
    > Sharon

    Objects (*.iff) should go in Downloads
    Walls (*.wll) should go in GameData\Walls
    Floors (*.flr) in GameData\Floors

    The walls and floors and the like will show up in build mode. The
    objects will show up in buy mode. It is possible that the objects
    haven't been set for the correct category, so that you will have to go
    into Seating -> All to see the sofas for example, rather than Seating ->
    Sofas. To correct this you can download either Object Organizer from the
    Maxis site or SimCategorizer (SimCat is better than the official one).
    Either of these will let you specify where in the catalogue the objects
    will appear.

    HTH.

    CK

    sharonx9 waved a magic wand at the 'puter, changed into a moose (OOPS!)
    - tried again and came up with:
    > I know this has probably been covered a zillion times but...I played
    > the SIMS a few years ago and then got rid of them. Now I went back
    > and bought SIMS Deluxe. I have downloaded some objects online
    > (couches, walls, etc) and I have put them in my Game Data folder.
    > They are not showing up on the game. What am I doing wrong??? Thanks
    > a bunch!!!
    >
    > Sharon

    http://www.livin-it-up.net/extra/faq.php?section=general

    Where do I put the files I've downloaded?
    First, you have to realize that the files that you have downloaded are in a
    compressed (zip) format, and you have to use a program like WinZip to
    extract them.

    Many people don't know how to use WinZip, but it's very easy to use. Once it
    is installed on your system, it will open whenever you double-click on a zip
    file (in Windows Explorer). It will provide a list of all files in the zip.
    What you need to do then is just drag and drop the files into the
    appropriate folder (listed below, by file extension).

    IFF files (Objects) - \Downloads or a subfolder of \Downloads
    House##.IFF (Houses) - \UserData#\Houses (# is neighborhood no.)
    WLL files (Walls) - \GameData\Walls
    FLR files (Floors) - \GameData\Floors
    CMX, SKN, and BMP files (Skins) - \GameData\Skins
    CMX, SKN, and BMP files (Buyable Skins) - \ExpansionShared\SkinsBuy
    BMF, CMF, CFP, and BCF files(Animations) - \GameData\Animation
    BMP files (Roofs) - \GameData\Roofs
    FAM files (families with or without houses) - \UserData\Import
    CMT Files (families downtown) - \UserData\Import. These are not skin files.
    If they are in your skin folder, they may be causing crashing problems. This
    file is the equivalent for the .FAM files, but for Hot Date.
    FAR files (usually contain IFF files) DL will give instructions. If not, put
    in \Downloads.

    --
    --- Mike --- http://www.livin-it-up.net
    Member of eKoOK (evil Kult of Object Kreators)

    sharonx9 wrote:
    > I know this has probably been covered a zillion times but...I played
    > the SIMS a few years ago and then got rid of them. Now I went back
    > and bought SIMS Deluxe. I have downloaded some objects online
    > (couches, walls, etc) and I have put them in my Game Data folder.
    > They are not showing up on the game. What am I doing wrong??? Thanks
    > a bunch!!!
    >
    > Sharon

    The Sims Selux just includes The Sims and Living Large, if I remember
    correctly. It's possible that the objects you downloaded were cloned from
    objects in the other expansion packs. There were 8 altogether, I think.

    Jeanie

Sims Games Video Games